Moderator Control Panel ]

Hong Kong Ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Hong Kong Ancestors

Postby Jaker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:20 pm

My Step Grandfather's Son, Eric Alwynne Ryder, born 1926, emigrated to Hong Kong about 1960-1961. Apparently he worked on the cruise ships as a pianist. My grandmother received birthday and Christmas Cards from him and his wife (I do not know her name)but I cannot find where to trace them, indeed they may still be alive. My Grandmother, Annie Ryder (nee Fleetwood) and her husband, Wilfred have both passed away, as have Eric's brothers, Donald and Douglas. This is all the information I have and would be grateful if anyone could "point me in the right direction" to trace Eric's marriage ( I have searched the overseas marriages) or his possible death.

Many thanks
Sheila
Jaker

Re: Hong Kong Ancestors

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Unfortunately there is no obligation to report any birth, marriage or death of a UK citizen to the UK consulate (?) which is how the event gets into the GRO Overseas records. You'd need to look at the vital event registration system of wherever the event took place - if there was one.

Have you looked in the online newspapers? It is vaguely possible that reports of his marriage or death might have been sent to UK newspapers to inform friends and relatives at home.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Hong Kong Ancestors

Postby MaureenE » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:24 am

There was Civil Registration in Hong Kong, although not compulsory for marriages until 1971, and marriage records are incomplete before that date.

Whether it is possible to obtain a copy of a record is another question, but you could try contacting the Immigration Department which is responsible for Civil Registration
http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/contactus/index.html

For general information about records in Hong Kong
“Major Genealogical Record Sources in Hong Kong” by the Genealogical Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Series J, No.4 1975.
http://files.lib.byu.edu/family-history ... ngKong.pdf

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Return to General research queries