Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anyone read Mrs. William Major Courtenay's name?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can anyone read Mrs. William Major Courtenay's name?

Postby MayHam » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:15 am

Can anyone tell me the name of Mrs. William Major Courtenay as listed in the attached will?
I tried comparing it to Executor (Vizz?) John Barnett three lines below. It just doesn't make any sense to me. The will was proved in London, England on 15 April 1819.

Capt. (RN) William Major was the son of Edward and Eleanor born 1 Apr 1772 of Harrymount, Down, Ireland. I'm trying to prove he is not the same person as Capt. (RN) William Marcus Courtenay. He said he was the son of Edward and Elizabeth christened 14 Apr 1769 in Newry, Ireland. William Marcus married Mary Voy in 1804 in Guildford, Surrey. Can anyone help?

Thank you.
Attachments
Dizary Courtenay.jpg
Dizary Courtenay.jpg (171.64 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
MayHam

Re: Can anyone read Mrs. William Major Courtenay's name?

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:17 am

On a fairly quick glance, I'd say Mary also. There are other letters similar to the supposed capital M but it's not immediately clear what they are either. However the N in Navy has similar preparatory curls and both N and M logically ought to start in the same fashion.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby g w aldous » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:28 am

it is Mary and the viz you mention is Mr. If I could draw on here I could show you.The M starts with a reverse C shape then like 2 upside down L shapes.
g w aldous

Postby MayHam » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 pm

I do see it now. Thank you very much.
MayHam

Return to General research queries