Moderator Control Panel ]

Ricky Tomlinson's episode

Chat about the 13th edition of the UK genealogy series, which features Sir Ian McKellen, Danny Dyer, Amanda Holden and more

Ricky Tomlinson's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed Ricky Tomlinson's episode this evening! The show now takes a short break for Christmas, but will continue in the New Year (exact dates to be confirmed!)

As ever, please share your thoughts on the episode below.

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Ricky Tomlinson's episode

Postby junkers » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 pm

I thought it was good, but surprised that no mention of parish registers pre-July 1837 was said. Pauper graves were of course widespread throughout the country.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:51 am

My impression re pre 1837 PRs was that they'd tried but not found anything. It would, however, have been better to have made it clear that looking for the pre 1837 ancestors of John Smith in London (say) may be impossible but the ancestors of Theophilus P Wildebeest might be a different story.

Re pauper graves - I'm getting the impression that there are 2 sorts. Council owned graves that get used every few years but are otherwise identical to the "ordinary" grave - say 4 or 5 burials all told and just one coffin wide. And the communal burial pit umpteen feet wide and deep that would be used in the event of mass burials due to disease, accident, etc. Comments anyone?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 am

It seems you are confusing plague pits with communal graves.

First let us dispose of the idea of pauper graves there were no pauper graves there were pauper burials, these were burials paid for by the parish where the deceased was buried in a common grave.

In most cemeteries there were three classes of grave.
Private graves (up to 5 interments) purchased by and individual who had the right to say who could be buried in that plot and the right to erect a tombstone on the plot. This grave plot was heritable property.

Then there were the second class graves (up to 6 interments) where it was possible to gain the right to erect a tombstone. These plots were public graves but strictly limited to the number of internments in them normally up to six.

Finally were the common or public graves that could hold as many as 25 internments. There was no right to a tombstone for burials in these plots which would often be interspersed between the private plots to give the impression of a less crowded cemetery.

Each cemetery company of a municipal cemetery had their own particular designations.
For example in York (York Cemetery Company) the first public grave 14 foot deep by 7.5 ft by 3 ft contained 8 burials by 1837 to 1838 the average was 11. At the end of 1838 this had increased to 18 and by 1839 24 bodies per plot.
I would imagine in a more crowded city like Liverpool the plots could have been deeper (or wider and held more interments).

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby coopernicola » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:10 am

I really enjoyed this episode. As someone who has mainly 'ordinary' ancestors it showed that just learning a little about their lives and circumstances can be fascinating. Ricky was a great subject, he genuinely appeared connected to his roots, his ancestors would be very proud of him.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:34 am

Guy - thanks for that. I'd only come across the smaller type of public grave in my research, used intermittently, and so had educated myself away from the picture of a pit, so to see a half page of successive burials apparently in the one plot last night, seemed to point back to the pit idea. A further source of confusion was that the expert said something that I didn't catch - he either said Layer 14 (which sounds absurdly deep) or Lair 14 (Lair being the Scots term for a plot). Unless it was something else again.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Gilly72 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:47 pm

I liked this episode, the best one so far this series. I like Ricky Tomlinson so was keen to see this one even if I missed the others. I was disappointed with the series before, but this one is showing a little more promise. Ricky came across as genuinely fascinated and even excited by what he might uncover and his responses were not over the top but heart-felt (though there were a couple of bleeps)!! He ended the episode by expressing his pride in his city and his roots and so he should. Good on him!
Gilly72

Postby meekhcs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:23 am

I really enjoyed this episode.
As a person whose Family was full of Carters, albeit linked to the farming community, it was interesting to learn about the Carters at Liverpool Docks.
A very genuine and enjoyable episode that followed the direct male line.
meekhcs

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2016