Moderator Control Panel ]

Printing and Card Files

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Printing and Card Files

Postby Tabithabenef » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Does anyone know a good - very reasonably priced print company they can recommend.

I used one a couple of years ago but they don't exist any more - probably because they were too cheap.

I am nearly out of family group sheets A4 double sided forms i write on & keep in the file.
I am looking to print a min of 2500 sheets but preferably 5000 or more if the price is right.

So far i have been quoted silly money as they think they are letter heads & need expensive paper.

Another question

Someone else must have thought about this surely

Is there such a thing as a computer database that can act like a card file system - like they use in Libraries - I cant seem to find one anywhere. I use Rootsmagic for a family history programme.
which is good but not quite what i need for a quick reference.

What i want is a simple system where I can type in a name & it shows me which family group the person belongs to - which of my paper files he is filed in & which of the 4 main family names he belongs to (probably a few more things as well but cant think of it at the moment)
So far i am resorting to a paper system card index - but its not quick

All help appreciated - thanks for reading
Tabithabenef

Re: Printing and Card Files

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:46 pm

don't know where in the world you are, but suggest you take your print master to somewhere like KwikKopy, Snap Print, Officeworks, or whatever your local street front "instant print" shop is called.

Card Indexes - what are they? (tongue in cheek) Seriously though, libraries are getting rid of these and moving all catalogues onto digital format.
Sylcec

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks for the replies - i am in the southeast - Appreciat any help

Must admit haven't seen any local print shops in the area for a few years now. Seems as though paper printing has gone out of fashion.

I find it very strange there isn't a very simple & cheap database around already set up for this sort of thing.

What I was looking for was a digital version of a card index - just want an easy reference system
at the touch of a keyboard

Where you put in the name of the person - it then gives you something like this :-
the location of them eg file 14 - generation 32 - Male or female section
Tells you which family line they belong to eg "Brown" family which would be maternal Grandfather's line even if their name is Mountjoy.

We use to use Works for windows but it seems it has long gone & cant get a download for it for Windows 8 now & the laptop only works on downloads as o CD drive. Also don't think it will work on Apple.

That sort of thing - never mind it was a long shot anyway

We are going to be colour coding the tree on Rootsmagic now to help. We had to delete the old one as it got too confusing & we had a few doubles (name changes) so we are sort of trying to tidy things up.
Tabithabenef

Postby coopernicola » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:21 am

I use Staples for my genealogy printing, my local branch are most helpful. They allow me to check out documents on their computer prior to printing to allow for any adjustments. I think their pricing is reasonable for the quality produced, I can decide on paper size, weight & colour. I create these using an iMac, in Keynote which is a presentation format (I'm good with presentation formats but not with desktop publishing). This allows me to use 'ghost' backgrounds and be more creative with the finished product.
However I tend only to print family trees or homemade 'newspapers'. I've not utilised record blanks on paper for many years. I tend to use spreadsheets for this, it saves trees and requires less physical storage room. If you wanted custom (i.e. with patterns or artwork etc.) made record sheets using a spreadsheet system I'm sure this would be possible too.
coopernicola

Postby SoozOne » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 pm

Just as a thought, can you not print out your forms on a home printer. Its fairly straightforward to scan the original both sides then run it through a printer - either one which does back and front printing, or simply reload the first print forms the other way around to print the other side. Would save you heaps in commercial fees and you could print out the amount you want in smaller batches any time you want.
As for the database. From long experience you need to work out and write down exactly what headings and searches you want before starting to look for a compatible type of software. If push comes to shove, and you're really clear on headings and searches but can't find anything suitable it will probably pay you to contact your local reputable computer repair type company to see if they can recommend a database programme writer. Or even a computer based technical college.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Return to General research queries