Moderator Control Panel ]

Difficulty finding great grandfather

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Teshhi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I have been trying to find some information relating to my mother's grandfather for her.

My mother's grandfather - John Anderson - was listed as a leading aircraftsmen with the usual residence of Royal Air Force Station, Montrose on his marriage certificate (married to Sarah Nimmo Hood Stewart on 5th October 1939), then as a Sergeant with the usual residence of 169 Shamrock Street on his daughter's birth certificate (Doreen Anderson born on the 10th September 1944).

Currently we do not have a service number or date of birth for John and I am struggling to find any such information. Unfortunately, my mum does not have any photos, records or living relatives that could help us to identify John's records online and this is proving difficult with John having such a popular name.

The only other information I have is the name of John's parents - which looks like George Weir or Weit Anderson and Jean Anderson (Miss Weir).

Any suggestions of what my next step forward should be would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Terri
Teshhi

Re: Difficulty finding great grandfather

Postby maxine tallon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 am

Have you tried applying for his service record, they will charge a fee but it might be worth it.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby maxine tallon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:06 am

I should have added as you know where he was stationed they may still be able to identify him.
maxine
maxine tallon

Postby brunes08 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:30 am

What age does it give for him on the marriage certificate? That should give you are starting point. If it just says 'full age' then he should be over 21years so you would be looking at a birth perhaps during the 1WW or just before. Have you looked to see if his father had a service record - all the records I have show next of kin (parent or wife and children)?
brunes08

Postby MayHam » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:22 pm

I found John's marriage record on ScotlandsPeople where he lists his age as 27. I couldn't find his birth record on ScotlandsPeople. There are too many entries. You may want to contact THE GLASGOW & WEST OF SCOTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY- http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/ as they supply the Glasgow information to ScotlandsPeople and have their own database.

George W. Anderson and Jean Weir married 27 Oct 1910 in Blythswood Glasgow. He was 21, the son of John and Margaret (Murray) Anderson. George Weir Anderson was born 15 Jun 1889 in Enzie, Banffshire, Scotland. He died 4 Aug 1944, Chicago, IL. He may have left a will that would prove John's relationship.
MayHam

Return to General research queries