Moderator Control Panel ]

Help tracing Philippine ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help tracing Philippine ancestors

Postby Karen196 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi, hoping someone can advise. My Great Grandfather Juan Saron (Sarin) was born in Manila, Philippines in 1892. I can't find any birth records in ancestry's Philippine collection nor on findmypast. I have found in the national archives his seaman record which states he was born in Manila as we knew but his Nationality is stated as American, which I find confusing in itself.

I have searched the Ellis Island records but can't find anything to help me in my search. I have also contacted what I think is the Philippine archive to request information on finding out the procedure of requesting documents but have not received a response to date and am unsure where to turn next.

He was married in Liverpool and lived there until he died in 1936.

I have marriage and death certificates but they don't shed any light in trying to locate a birth. His father's name appears to be Marion Saron on the marriage certificate.

Thanks, Karen

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Karen196

Re: Help tracing Philippine ancestors

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 pm

suggest that you use http://www.familysearch.org. Even if you don't find the required record indexed, they also have a very large number of browsable records for the Philippines. I do know that the familysearch indexers are currently working on indexing these records, but have no idea when they will be finished to come on-lilne.
Sylcec

Postby Karen196 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks, sorry I should have added that I have tried there too, cannot find anything. Was wondering also why his nationality might be written as American when he clearly wasn't. Mystery

Karen196

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:26 pm

According to Wikipedia, "In 1898, the Spanish–American War began in Cuba and reached the Philippines. ... The islands were ceded by Spain to the United States as a result of the latter's victory in the Spanish–American War"

So maybe at the time the original data on that card was created, the Philippines were under US rule and therefore American was quoted, even though he wasn't born under that rule. It's the sort of "update" to nationality that happens often.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines#Colonial_era
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Karen196 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Wow thanks, very interesting

Karen196

Return to General research queries