Moderator Control Panel ]

How many 1939 Registers?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

How many 1939 Registers?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:18 pm

How many 1939 Registers were there?!

Well, so far as I can see, just one 1939 Register as such but this link http://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/blog/national-registration-day-29-september-1939/ from the TNA Blog, written by Audrey Collins, lists the "top up" methods, i.e. how they dealt with those people not in the original.

It actually refers to 3 other registers:
  • A national Birth Register to record every birth from 30 September 1939
  • A Current Register for people entering the country (UK? England & Wales? I'm not sure), or being demobilised from the armed forces or the merchant navy.
  • The ‘Y’ Register to record applications for replacements for a lost or stolen card

Also interesting is her blog http://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/blog/national-registration-happened-next/ which indicates some reasons for downright refusals to complete the form including one chap who said "This register is only an excuse to find out about other people’s business. I don’t believe there is a war on. And the blackout is only caused by the inefficiency of the lighting authorities." Clearly conspiracy theorists have been around for some time!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: How many 1939 Registers?

Postby Guy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:23 pm

There is a lot of information about the 1939 National Registration plus other interesting subjects Census Registration etc. on the History of Population website at
http://www.histpop.org

Returning to the 1939 National Registration the FMP one only covers England and Wales it does not include the Channel Isles, Scotland or Northern Ireland (these last two may be found by referring to the National Archives of those two countries. I have not checked to see if the Isle on Man is on the FMP site).

If therefore you add them all up there were possibly just under a dozen registers and associated data sets.

Of those only 3 are easily available though FoI requests should elicit data from others if the correct conditions are observed.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Good point Guy - I should have made it clear that I was talking about just England and Wales.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:44 pm

so pleased to see Guy refer to the histpop site. It is a wonderful resource, created by and for academics but fabulously useful for genealogists.
Sylcec

Return to Genealogy chat