Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery in India

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Royal Garrison Artillery in India

Postby karooch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks to WDYTYA magazine (Sept edition. Thank you Phil Tomaselli) I have discovered that my Grandfather served in the Royal Garrison Artillery. I managed to get his record from the Ministry of Defence and discovered that he served in No4 Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade and was posted to India from 1919-1922.

I have searched the Internet trying to find out something about the Brigade's service in India during this time but have drawn a blank.

Does anyone have any information about this?

Fingers and toes crossed

Karen
Last edited by karooch on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karooch

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery in India

Postby MaureenE » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Perhaps you could try the Great War Forum if you don't get information posted here.

I think it is most likely that he would have been posted to the North West of India, perhaps somewhere such as Peshawar, but this is a guess only.

Up until about six months ago I would have suggested that you contact the Firepower Museum. However that Museum has now closed, the collection is in storage and currently not accessible, and there is no research service. The Museum is due to reopen in about five years and is to be called the Salisbury Plains Heritage Centre.
http://www.salisburyplainheritagecentre.com

There is a published History which might have something relevant
History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery : Between the Wars, 1919-39 edited by BP Hughes (1992)

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery in India

Postby karooch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks Maureen. Hopefully I will be able to find some information a bit sooner than 5 years. Bummer that I missed out on The Firepower Museum by 6 months.

Cheers

Karen
karooch

Return to General research queries