Moderator Control Panel ]

Totally Stumped

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Totally Stumped

Postby Frustrated » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:45 am

Hello

Trying to do a post and I keep getting a message to remove bad words or non-English so I will try posting over a few posts if that is alright?
Frustrated

Re: Totally Stumped

Postby Frustrated » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:52 am

The first proper records I have is the 1881 Census, some military records and birth and death records for his family in India for the 1870's, yet nothing previous to this. I have found plenty of local records and articles and further military records about him since

I am unable to find a first marriage record, even though the 1881 Census states he is a widower and there is a death record for his wife in India

His name on the records I have found is William Hing (King on the 1881 Census although continues to be Hing after this) born in Long Crendon, Bucks, the 1881 Census states his age as 40 visiting Henry and Tryphena Buckland in Slough and is a General Labourer. (Tryphena was born in Long Crendon, I even followed this line, yet was unable to make any matches)

I contacted a fellow researcher who verified the records I had found were his, that he was born William Ing and changed his name following a falling out and this is where I draw a blank

Previous to this the only possible one that fits is the 1851 Census William Ing age 10 born in Oakley, living with Elizabeth Ing in Brill, Bucks, although again there I am unable find anything on William in the 1841 Census.

A possible match for Elizabeth after this in the 1851 Census married to Emanuel Ing, although this states a different birthplace to Blackthorn

The records from India show he had 3 sons, one called Henry died in 1878 along with his wife Sarah, who was shown on this record to be born in 1855. The other two are on 1881 Census with him.

The only possible match I have for Sarah previous to this is the 1871 Census where she was a visitor to Thomas Parkinson in St Georges Hanover Square (possible time and place of marriage before heading off to be based abroad with military?)

I have no other trace for Sarah as I don't know her maiden name

There is a second marriage to a Sarah too which has a record, this Sarah was a widow and it was also her second marriage

Is there anything anyone can do to help me move forward (back) with this?

:)
Frustrated

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Tryphena's maiden name was Hutchings (Hutchins)
This appears to be her marriage to Mr Buckner -
Dec 1874 Cookham 2c 947
Buckner, Henry
Hutchings, Tryphena

Looking at the earlier census, she had a sister Sarah. Could said sister have been the first wife of William Hing, hence him visiting the Buckners in 1881?
Marriage
Dec 1862 Cookham 2c 829
Hing, William
Hutchings, Sarah

Both of those marriage registrations have other names with the same page ref.
Anyway, a birth in Ireland
13th March 1867 at Cork Barracks
name - Edwin Ely
sex - male
father - William Hing, Cork Barracks
mother - Sarah Hing formerly Hutchins
father's occ - Private 2nd 60th Rifles
informant - William Hing (X) Cork Barracks

So if that was the first Sarah, she was certainly born before 1855!
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Army Service Record for Private William Hing, No. 295
attested Southampton, 21st December 1858, for the 60th Rifle Regt
age 18
Laborer
born Long Crandin(?), nr Aylsbury, county of Bucks
discharged from service 22 March 1881
intended place of residence - No. 6 Mill Cottage, Slough, Bucks

Service abroad included 11 years and 319 days in India.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:41 pm

Second marriage
Name: William Hing
Marriage Date: 7 Oct 1882
Marriage Place: Upton Cum Chalvey, Buckingham
Father: William Hing
Spouse: Sarah Ann Penter
Spouse Age: 24
Spouse Father: John Weeks
FHL Film Number: 919254
Reference ID: p 220
England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Found six baptisms to William and Sarah Hing in India. Not all the children lived.
Sarah Hing died 6th August 1878. Buried at Fatehgarh, same day. Cause of death was hepatitis. Age 32. So born around 1845/6.
Previous entry was for her son Henry. Henry Hing, died 4 August 1878, age 1 day. Cause of death was convulsions.
ianbee

Postby Frustrated » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Oh My Word!!!

Thank you soooo much!!!

I did consider the relationship between Tryphena and looked into Sarah Hutchings, it's just that I couldn't find anything further connecting them, it was the dates I was seeing that was changing things, you seem to have found it tho and then some :D

I am so grateful, I feel like you've pulled me out of a mire

Thank you again

Frustrated

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi
I don't know what military records you have exactly.
He's in the Royal Hospital Chelsea, Length of Service Pensions, Admission Books, in WO117/34
Thanks to the amazing AdrianB38, I can tell you that you can see that record for free on TNA website (is also on Fold3 for a fee)

A birth registration of a possible son
Sep 1863 Farnham (covers Aldershot) 2a 86
Hing, William Henry
mother's maiden surname Hutchins (info from new birth index on GRO website)

As he was in the army from 1858, possibly he either knew Sarah from way back, or else he knew someone who knew her?
1861 Worldwide Army Index puts him in China
We know the 1861 census puts Sarah and Tryphena Hutchings in less exotic Cookham, Berkshire, with their parents. At 32 Pinkneys Green. So it's interesting that the previous schedule, 31 Pinkneys Green, is Jesse Ing, born Long Crendon, his wife Sarah, and mother Elizabeth. Perhaps he might have been related to your William.
The William Ing born Oakley that you found in the 1851 census seems to be one of the few possibilities around.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Frustrated » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:30 am

Ian

This is amazing!

The records I had found were the same as what you have found, with a little less detail, the Rifles record and the Chelsea Pensioners record

I seem to have managed to piece his jigsaw together from 1881 no bother.

Finding Jesse on that 1861 Census has opened up a few avenues for me to explore now.

I now have 6 children for William and Sarah with William Henry, one is a bit of a question mark though.

My excitement is back again!

A thousand Thank Yous

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:23 am

Hi

I have found another William Ing, in the 1841 Census, born in Oakley, scribed as Inge, with an Elizabeth, Jesse and a Mary

Jesse goes on to be a servant in the 1851 in Oxford, then in Derby in the 1861 Census, so he isn't the one who lived in Cookham in 1861 with Sarah near the Hutchings.

I couldn't find a trace to William, Elizabeth or Mary, so I am wondering if their trail ends there, due to death of Elizabeth (and Mary) and William went to another Ing family (possibly Jesse from Cookham branch) for a time, maybe even the Hings, hence the name change or into a workhouse before joing the army?

Could there be anyway to find this out?

There are so many Ings, each with many Williams, Jesses, Georges, Marks, Marys and Elizabeths quite close in age that I just think I'm getting somewhere then the trail dries up :lol:

I would cross my fingers in hope but it makes it difficult to type

Frustrated

Next

Return to General research queries