Moderator Control Panel ]

Totally Stumped

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Totally Stumped

Postby Frustrated » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:54 am

ianbee wrote:I think that Jesse Ing's age in 1861 in Cookham must be wrong (says he is 29, wife Sarah is 44)
Sarah was from Chalgrove, and in 1851 they seem to be in Easington, Oxfordshire. Jesse Ing, 27, born Long Crendon, and Sarah Ing, 33.

Ann Maria Ing (1819) had a brother Jesse -
Name: Jesse Ing
Christening Date: 11 August 1822
Christening Place: Long Crendon, Buckingham
Father's Name: Alfred Ing
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

In 1841 he seems to be with his parents in Long Crendon.
In 1851 Elizabeth Ing, wife of Alfred, was 52, and born Kingsey
And in 1861 in Cookham, Jesse's mother Elizabeth Ing was 63, born Kingsey!
So it looks to me as though the Ings next door to the Sarah Hutchings family were quite possibly Ann Wyatt's brother and mother. And therefore her son William's uncle and grandmother!
Sarah Hutchings was born in Long Crendon anyway of course, but it could be an extra link, given that William Hing was in the army at that time, but married Sarah in the Cookham area in 1862.
Ian

I zoomed in on that Census and although it does look like 29, it also looks like 40 without that flicky bit under the 0, which would tally up. The 4's of the 44 of Sarah are written in one stroke and the first number for Jesse looks very similar

So far so good with piecing things together, it looks like the missing piece is William Wyatt/Ing/Hing, well he fits at present anyway, time will tell if he's one of those rogue pieces that after a while the gaps start to show :lol:

I really appreciate the help you have given me Ian :)
Frustrated

Postby ianbee » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi
Jesse Ing is still in Cookham later
1871, age 50
1881, age 59
1891, age 69
Someone is interested in him and has submitted corrections/alternative names on ancestry.
He may have been with Sarah in 1851, but it appears he married her in Windsor district in 1859 (Sarah Brown)
Death, June 1898 Maidenhead 2c 254
Ing, Jesse
age 75

What is unfortunate is that there seems to be no baptism for William Ing or Wyatt, not in Long Crendon anyway (going on Family search)
If I can, I'll try and have a look at the register myself, but I'm not too hopeful of finding anything new.

The only birth registration in Thame of a William Ing around the right time is one in Sep 1839. But that one has the mother's maiden name Piggott. So is not the right William.
We just have a theory at the moment. Some circumstantial evidence in support, but no real proof yet.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Frustrated » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:54 am

Hi

Yes, Jesse appears as Jesse, Jefsey, Tesse, Ing, Long and King, I thought the different names was just how the scriber has read them off of the original record

I've been having a little play with adding William as William and Ann Maria's son and it appears to work,,,

So far the only gaps are records for him to join him up from 1851 as William Wyatt to 1858 as William Hing, other than that he doesn't conflict with anything or anyone else in the tree and there was a whole load of Ings in Long Crendon and the surrounding areas

So, theory or not it's working, although I won't be disappointed if I have to eventually scrap it and start again if anything changes and I end up barking up the wrong tree :D

I wonder if he went for a later baptism to change his name previous to joining the army or whilst in the army or before he married Sarah?
Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:12 am

Hi

I'm looking for some guidance as to where or how I might find out some more information, please?

I have found a William Henry Wyatt birth registered in 1940 in High Wycombe, which 1. coincides with the dates for the wedding (could they have registered the birth after the wedding, back then, or even re-registered it, so he had husbands name?) and 2. Henry could account why the surname went from Ing to Hing

There is a previous William Wyatt that was registered in 1937, although his father is John (William's brother) and he goes on to marry Hannah

Many Thanks

:)
Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 am

Hi
Sorry to be a pain, but I've just caught up with this again and I'm still struggling with William Hing, especially because of this:

ianbee wrote:Second marriage
Name: William Hing
Marriage Date: 7 Oct 1882
Marriage Place: Upton Cum Chalvey, Buckingham
Father: William Hing
Spouse: Sarah Ann Penter
Spouse Age: 24
Spouse Father: John Weeks
FHL Film Number: 919254
Reference ID: p 220
England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973

I had some research done and received the same details as this for his second marriage and they also came back with William's parents being Alfred and Elizabeth, which was the previous generation to William Wyatt and Ann Maria Ing.

I just don't understand how come if he was born an Ing how everything from his army registration is Hing, his first marriage details name him as Hing and his second marriage details state his father as Hing.
Frustrated

Postby ianbee » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Ing to Hing is not really much of a change. An H added to surnames starting with a vowel is not so uncommon. Or the H being left off.
ianbee

Previous

Return to General research queries