Moderator Control Panel ]

Totally Stumped

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Totally Stumped

Postby ianbee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi
They seem to be in Brill in 1851
piece 1726 folio 425 page 17
Windmill Street
Elizabeth Ing Head Widow 42 Pauper, born Blackthorn
William Ing Son 10 Oakley Bucks

On the same census page, but in Temple Street, is Mary Ann Ing,13, born Oakley Bucks, Servant to James Howell and family.

Then in 1861 in Leeds -
piece 3392 folio 91 page 10
William Ing Serv Un 19 Footman Bucks Oakley
Head is Alfred Barry

So that would rule him out I fear. William's origins are still a bit of a mystery.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Frustrated » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:07 am

Thank you Ian

I'm beginning to wonder if he was born a William or became a William because the first real evidence that he existed is his army records, then his marriage, before then it's blank

:|
Frustrated

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi
Is William Wyatt a possibility?
In Long Crendon in 1841, age 2, and in 1851, age 12.
Don't know what happened to him after that.
Parents were William and Ann
Possible marriage for them, but in 1840
Dec 1840 Thame vol 16 page 207
Ing, Ann
Wyatt, William

Going back to the 1851 census (piece 1726 folio 346 page 11), siblings of William Wyatt were
Charlotte, 10, Jane, 8, Fanny, 6, Eli, 2, Mary, 2 mo.
Birth registrations for all of them, mother Ing
If he was born before the marriage of Ann to Mr Wyatt perhaps William later reverted to the Ing/Hing name?

One problem may be the death of a William Wyatt, June 1856, Thame. May not be him of course, he would be about 17. But can't find it in the new GRO death index, to eliminate it.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:17 pm

Ann Wyatt is very consistent about her age in the census, born about 1819
In 1881 she seems to be in London, in Hammersmith with her son George. In this one she has the middle name Maria.
So possibly her baptism may be -
Name: Ann Maria Ing
Christening Date: 30 May 1819
Christening Place: Long Crendon, Buckingham
Father's Name: Alfred Ing
Mother's Name: Elizth.
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:46 am

I think that Jesse Ing's age in 1861 in Cookham must be wrong (says he is 29, wife Sarah is 44)
Sarah was from Chalgrove, and in 1851 they seem to be in Easington, Oxfordshire. Jesse Ing, 27, born Long Crendon, and Sarah Ing, 33.

Ann Maria Ing (1819) had a brother Jesse -
Name: Jesse Ing
Christening Date: 11 August 1822
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

In 1841 he seems to be with his parents in Long Crendon.
In 1851 Elizabeth Ing, wife of Alfred, was 52, and born Kingsey
And in 1861 in Cookham, Jesse's mother Elizabeth Ing was 63, born Kingsey!
So it looks to me as though the Ings next door to the Sarah Hutchings family were quite possibly Ann Wyatt's brother and mother. And therefore her son William's uncle and grandmother!
Sarah Hutchings was born in Long Crendon anyway of course, but it could be an extra link, given that William Hing was in the army at that time, but married Sarah in the Cookham area in 1862.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 pm

ianbee wrote:One problem may be the death of a William Wyatt, June 1856, Thame. May not be him of course, he would be about 17. But can't find it in the new GRO death index, to eliminate it.

Had the thought that maybe they hadn't crossed the t's on the register entry, or not clearly enough for the transcriber to read it as Wyatt.
Sure enough!
New GRO death index,
June 1856 Thame 3a 321
Wyall, William
age 2

So the William Wyatt born circa 1839 of the 1841 and 1851 census in Long Crendon is certainly on the missing list.

ianbee wrote:If he was born before the marriage of Ann to Mr Wyatt perhaps William later reverted to the Ing/Hing name?

Not necessarily reverted. We only know what was put on the census returns. He may have always been known by all and sundry in Long Crendon as William Ing.
The other possibility is that William Wyatt was a widower when he married Ann and William was his son by his first wife. Don't think there's any evidence of that.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:16 pm

ianbee wrote:Hi
Is William Wyatt a possibility?
In Long Crendon in 1841, age 2, and in 1851, age 12.
Don't know what happened to him after that.
Parents were William and Ann
Possible marriage for them, but in 1840
Dec 1840 Thame vol 16 page 207
Ing, Ann
Wyatt, William

Going back to the 1851 census (piece 1726 folio 346 page 11), siblings of William Wyatt were
Charlotte, 10, Jane, 8, Fanny, 6, Eli, 2, Mary, 2 mo.
Birth registrations for all of them, mother Ing
If he was born before the marriage of Ann to Mr Wyatt perhaps William later reverted to the Ing/Hing name?

One problem may be the death of a William Wyatt, June 1856, Thame. May not be him of course, he would be about 17. But can't find it in the new GRO death index, to eliminate it.
Ian

WOW!!

This is amazing, Thank You!

That seems a real distinct possibility

I just checked the others on page of the 1851 census and the Hutchings and the Piggots are on there, who are linked to the Ing family within marriages :)
Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 pm

ianbee wrote:Ann Wyatt is very consistent about her age in the census, born about 1819
In 1881 she seems to be in London, in Hammersmith with her son George. In this one she has the middle name Maria.
So possibly her baptism may be -
Name: Ann Maria Ing
Christening Date: 30 May 1819
Mother's Name: Elizth.

Thank you Ian, I am truly grateful for help :)
Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:59 pm

ianbee wrote:I think that Jesse Ing's age in 1861 in Cookham must be wrong (says he is 29, wife Sarah is 44)
Sarah was from Chalgrove, and in 1851 they seem to be in Easington, Oxfordshire. Jesse Ing, 27, born Long Crendon, and Sarah Ing, 33.

Ann Maria Ing (1819) had a brother Jesse -
Name: Jesse Ing
Christening Date: 11 August 1822
Mother's Name: Elizabeth

In 1841 he seems to be with his parents in Long Crendon.
In 1851 Elizabeth Ing, wife of Alfred, was 52, and born Kingsey
And in 1861 in Cookham, Jesse's mother Elizabeth Ing was 63, born Kingsey!
So it looks to me as though the Ings next door to the Sarah Hutchings family were quite possibly Ann Wyatt's brother and mother. And therefore her son William's uncle and grandmother!
Sarah Hutchings was born in Long Crendon anyway of course, but it could be an extra link, given that William Hing was in the army at that time, but married Sarah in the Cookham area in 1862.
Ian

I'm glad it's not just me

Sometimes I feel like I'm going round and round and not getting anywhere because of the amount of leads that fall flat.

Every time I think I'm getting somewhere something doesn't seem to add up.

I have found so many of the same name Ings tho, with various dates of birth and various Fathers and Mothers, it's just a case of trying to place them.

I will follow this link for now and see where it leads
Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 am

ianbee wrote:
ianbee wrote:One problem may be the death of a William Wyatt, June 1856, Thame. May not be him of course, he would be about 17. But can't find it in the new GRO death index, to eliminate it.

Had the thought that maybe they hadn't crossed the t's on the register entry, or not clearly enough for the transcriber to read it as Wyatt.
Sure enough!
New GRO death index,
June 1856 Thame 3a 321
Wyall, William
age 2

So the William Wyatt born circa 1839 of the 1841 and 1851 census in Long Crendon is certainly on the missing list.

ianbee wrote:If he was born before the marriage of Ann to Mr Wyatt perhaps William later reverted to the Ing/Hing name?

Not necessarily reverted. We only know what was put on the census returns. He may have always been known by all and sundry in Long Crendon as William Ing.
The other possibility is that William Wyatt was a widower when he married Ann and William was his son by his first wife. Don't think there's any evidence of that.
Ian

1861 is the first record of William Hing following his army record, you said previously he shows as being in China then

It's just piecing the William Wyatt to the William Hing within the gap between 1851 and 1858 for which I have a new found enthusiasm

Thank you so, so much, Ian, my hope has been restored! :D
Frustrated

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries