Moderator Control Panel ]

Myra JEWELL/JOEL

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Myra JEWELL/JOEL

Postby SDV » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:13 pm

John JEWELL (1795-1877) and his wife Caroline ALLEN (1807-1886) had at least 13 children, 6 of them after the introduction of civil registration in 1837. I have managed to find birth certificates for five of the 6 children: Leah (b 1840), Sarah (b 1841), Arthur (b 1845), Edith (b 1846) and John (b 1849). In all cases, there was no first name, merely the designation male JEWELL or female JEWELL. So the above is by matching the years of birth to names on the relevant censuses and baptism records. I have baptism records for all six children, all of whom were baptised at St Peter in Siddington, Glos.

I have a baptism record for Myra, the missing child, who was baptised on 09 Jul 1843, so was clearly born before that date. In the 1851 census, Myra's age is given as 7, placing her neatly between Sarah (9) and Arthur (6). Again in 1861, Mirah is aged 18, once again sitting between Sarah (20) and Arthur (15). It would therefore seem reasonable to presume that Myra/Mirah was born sometime between January 1842 and July 1843.

I am puzzled as to why there is no corresponding record of birth. I know that there was no compulsion for parents to register the birth. But (a) all other births were registered by the family, and (b) Siddington was a tiny village, so the local register must have been aware of the birth.

Any suggestions for tracking down this elusive record.

PS In some records the family name is JOEL rather than JEWELL.
SDV

Re: Myra JEWELL/JOEL

Postby sdup26 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Have you ruled out this birth entry?
Jewell female SQ 1842 Cirencester 11 237 (covers Siddington)
sdup26

Postby junkers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:24 am

In my view the use of the names 'Male' and 'Female' normally means that they had or were likely to die in a short period of time, have you cross-referenced the birth indexes to the death indexes?.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 am

Siddington being a small village may not be the point. If the Registrar was based in Cirencester (say) then his knowledge of what happened in Siddington will depend on how close it was, whether he had any contacts there and how spread out the village was.

I have totally different success rates for 2 small Cheshire villages and I suspect it's because the successful village was compact whereas the barely reported one was spread out. The fact that the children who were registered are missing their first names, suggests problems with reporting. If there were such problems it is no surprise that one was completely missed.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 am

some parents wait until their baby is baptised before giving him/her a Christian name - a practice that is more common among Roman Catholics, but not exclusively so.
Sylcec

Postby SDV » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:07 pm

sdup26 - yes, I'm afraid that I looked at that one in the past, only to find that the maiden name of the mother was Gardner. I too thought that it looked just right, in fact I ordered the certificate along with all the other male and female Jewells, and it was the only one that let me down. Now that the GRO have issued their index with mothers' maiden names going back to 1837, that is a mistake I won't make again.

As for the comment about such children not surviving, I think that it is really either a reflection of religious preferences (e.g. Roman Catholics) or a rather hasty registrar registering the death before the parents have decided upon a name. In Myra's case, she certainly survived infancy, marrying in 1864 and dying in 1888. Indeed of her 12 siblings that I know about, only one died in infancy. The rest all went on to marry and live into middle or old age.

The point about the location of the registrar and his local contacts is, I think, well made and a possible explanation.
SDV

Return to General research queries