Moderator Control Panel ]

Aircraft Egineer

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Aircraft Egineer

Postby Penny Parnaby » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 pm

I am trying to find WWII records for my father Leonard Boland. He was an aircraft engineer, working on the planes as they came back to the airfield. He wasn't in the RAF and I'm not sure which airfield he worked at, though deducing that it was near London. I can't find where his records would be kept. Any ideas please?
Penny Parnaby

Re: Aircraft Egineer

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:00 pm

If he's not in the RAF, then he must have been working for some engineering company that could have been anything in size from Rolls Royce via Vickers Armstrong to pretty much the local garage. My instinct is that his normal employment records could therefore be anywhere, including the most likely option of being pulped years ago. There will be no single source.

To get anywhere with that angle, you simply must identify the company that he worked for.

The only angles that I can think of are:

Is there any clue in the 1939 Register about who he worked for and as what?

I wonder if any central records were kept of security clearances? Surely you'd have to be cleared to work on an airfield and that's the only possible thing that I can think of that just might have been kept centrally. A look at the National Archives would seem in order.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby maxine tallon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:03 pm

My Uncle was also an Aircraft Engineer and I have had no luck at all in finding out where he worked, there seem to be no records at all. Even if you knew who he worked for the chances are employment records would have been destroyed. I also think they had to sign the Official Secrets Act.

I think my Uncle worked for Vickers and I know he was working in the Lancashire/Yorkshire area but after that I have hit a brick wall, even asking people who knew him during WW2 came to nothing. My Aunt his sister-in-law says he was very secretive about everthing.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby junkers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:21 am

Have you asked The National Archives as they may have some idea which organisation he was in, but I doubt it was in private industry, but probably attached to the airfields, if we are talking about London then Biggin Hill and Tangmere come to mind but he could have been sent anywhere. I agree that it is most likely that employment records have been destroyed many years ago. As has been said he is likely to be subject to the Official Secrets Act. The Imperial War Museum may have some information or advice.
junkers

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 am

There is a website for Tangmere http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk They are continually adding info to the museum which is situated on part of the old RAF base. Hopefully they would be able to tell you whether their engineers were RAF or locally supplied.
Edited: Tangmere is on the south coast near Chichester so a little way from London
meekhcs

Postby tiggerhill00 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Could he have worked at Fairey Aviation in Hayes? My grandparents worked there during WWII as aircraft fitters? Not that I have found much information about the factory either.

Sent from my SM-G925F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
tiggerhill00

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:29 am

North Weald airfield, is another ww1 & ww2 base, that has a museum, and judging by the entry in wikipedia, has photo's and records of staff who worked there. Might be worth giving them a call. It is just outside the M25, so a lot closer to London than Tangmere, so perhaps a better option.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby jimbo50 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:51 pm

I know Hawker's, and I suspect others too, had/still have social and reunion type clubs which continued after the war. Hawkers magazines contained many tales of experiences with wartime aircraft. They also mentioned a lot of names of the people involved. Where did he live in London ?
jimbo50

Return to General research queries