Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Occupation

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 pm

I have a vicar in the 1939 census whose occupation is described thus:

Clerk in Holy Order Reeler of manufacturer Meddle? and yes, the question mark is there. I think that it probably should be medal and that it has been spelt phonetically, but I have no idea what it means. Hopefully someone out there can assist and come up with a solution please.

This was an interesting census list for me, as it showed my two cousins in the household with their married names in brackets. This puzzled me as they did not get married until the 1950's. It seems that this census was used for identity cards and also used by the NHS for decades after, so often married names were included right up to the 1970's.

Re: Occupation

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:03 am

There are 2 results when searching on " Clerk in Holy Orders Reeler". The entry for Walter E Hodgson actually reads " Clerk in Holy Orders Rector of "- followed by the Parish name which I can't make out. Unfortunately the details in the entry for John W Sutton are partially obscured by the redacted entry below. I suspect that it too says Rector of wherever.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 am

From Grantham Journal 14 Jan 1939 :

Lincoln Diocesan Appointments

Rev. J W Sutton to Theddlethorpe St Helen and All Saints to be held in plurality with Mablethorpe St Mary with Stane Rectory.

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Many thanks Colin.

Occupation

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Just to clarify a couple of points, the 1939 Register was not a census. It was conducted to list people who were legally entitled to be here at the outbreak of war. Military personnel are not on the Register as they were listed elsewhere, so you are unlikely to find them. It provided information that later aided the allocation of Ration Books. The names of married women were changed as necessary from the start. I have relatives who married in October and December 1939 and they were updated. Later, the Register was used for establishing the NHS records. The National Archives has a useful section on the Register which you may find interesting.
Edit: I should have added that unlike the normal census returns we are used to seeing, foreign nationals were not included ( unless they had established a right to be here). If any were deemed to be a potential danger to the nation's security (eg of enemy ancestry) then they were likely to be interned for the duration.
Post a reply