Moderator Control Panel ]

Such a mess!!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Such a mess!!

Postby mjcosj » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Many thanks Lanbee
I have that document attached to my tree. But no death for Frances, no siblings for Thomas (I do have his marriage to Sarah Bird) and no sign of John or Frances before 1753.
The Such family, later on, were Jewellers in Birmingham but even trade directories are of use due to the date they were published.
Thank you for helping
mjcosj
mjcosj

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:38 pm

This is the marriage that you are interested in?
22 December 1773, at Harbonne St Peter
Thomas Such, of this Parish, Batchelor and Jeweller
+
Sarah Bird, of this Parish
by Banns
witnesses Joseph Dallaway, Sarah St..ens (could be Stevens, neither witness surname totally clear)
all signed
Banns were published 5th, 12th, 19th December

Burial, Birmingham St Martin, 2 October 1774, of Fanny, daughter of Thomas + Sarah Such.

Have you got a death/burial of Thomas Such? If so, what was his age?
Ian
ianbee

Postby mjcosj » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 pm

I have his death as being 1830 aged 77 years. Buried at Saint Paul's Churchyard where his descendants are buried.
It his father that is the puzzle.
Thank you for Fanny's details.
I have Sarah and Thomas's wedding (they transcribed him as SUB not Such)
Thanks
mjcosj
mjcosj

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:16 pm

mjcosj wrote:I have his death as being 1830 aged 77 years. Buried at Saint Paul's Churchyard where his descendants are buried.

Ah yes, transcribed as Luch on ancestry.
Is that his daughter Sarah buried there in 1842? Suck on ancestry.
The Such name itself seems to cause enough problems!
Possibly is probate for both of them. If they left wills, have you seen them?

Although its the parents of Thomas who are giving you the problem, I just thought that a bit of background on the man himself might help us in the search.
Ian
ianbee

Postby mjcosj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Ianbee
Yes, the 'SUCH" name is such a problem, pardon the pun. When I search for records I have thousands of sentences brought up with the word 'such' in them. It makes narrowing down specific people difficult.
Yes it is the Father and Mother that I have no information for at all other than a birth entry for Thomas. I am wondering if John is a fiction or a member of the family used to give Thomas's birth a sense of validity.
I cannot find any wills listed, no marriage anywhere for John. The dates are too early for trade directories. It is a puzzle that perhaps I may never solve.
No wills for Thomas or Sarah either.
Ahh! the joys of Genealogy.
Many thanks.
mjcosj
mjcosj

Postby carobradford » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:06 am

Both Thomas and Sarah did leave wills. They are to be found in the collection of wills proved under the aegis of the Diocese of Lichfield. The originals are at the Lichfield Record Office but FMP have digitised them. I have had a quick look but neither offer any direct clues to Thomas's parentage. However, the fact that Thomas was in a position to make extensive provision for his family indicates that he was a man of some considerable means. It is unlikely that he achieved this entirely in one lifetime, so it is reasonable to suppose, until proven otherwise, that his father (or possibly his mother) was also of some financial and/or social standing.

An extensive search of Lichfield wills may bear fruit. Sometimes the direct line is not the most direct route. The most fruitful wills are often those of spinster aunts who, having no direct descendants, provide small legacies to a large number of nieces, nephews etc.

As I said in an earlier post, researching wider family is often the best strategy. There is a handful of other SUCH (and variant) events in the Birmingham parish registers in the 18th century. Every one of them is worth following through. The best approach to a brick wall is not to try and break straight through it but to try to find your way round its edges.
carobradford

Postby mjcosj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 am

Thank you Carobradford
I could not find will for sarah or Thomas.
I may have mentioned it earlier; the Such family were jewellers and goldsmiths.
Thank you for your invaluable help but I still cannot locate the wills.
mjcosj
mjcosj

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:22 pm

They are on findmypast
Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate 1521-1860

Thomas Such, 1830
Sarah Such, 1842

Although when I looked yesterday both "results" (for each of them) took me to the same image - a calendar. Another one of their glitches, no doubt. So if you have any problems, persevere!
See also the Indexes to the Death Duty Registers, same website.
Ian
ianbee

Postby mjcosj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Results for Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate 1521-1860
Many thank I am persevering but still cannot find them despite trawling up to 10 years outside of 1830
mjcosj
mjcosj

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi
Their search engines are playing tricks
Putting the name Such into Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate 1521-1860
gives 28,484 results.
But at least those who are actually called Such are at the top of the list.
Two results for Thomas Such, including the will
Just one for Sarah - the calendar.
Caroline obviously has the magic touch!
You could perhaps try searching via their "Search all Records"
Ian
ianbee

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries