Moderator Control Panel ]

Henry Peter LANGDALE, a total cad, goes missing!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Henry Peter LANGDALE, a total cad, goes missing!

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:38 pm

On one of my mother's lines, I found the following sorry individual:

Henry Peter LANGDALE was born in Charles Street, St Margaret's, Westminster in early 1843, and Christened in St Margaret's on 19 March. His father was Henry Nichols (also rendered as Nicholas) LANGDALE of York, his mother was Sarah Frances MATHEWS of Westminster. Henry Nichols, an Attorney's Clerk, died when Henry Peter was barely 2, and his mother remarried John RAWLING in 1849.

RAWLING appears to have been a canny businessman, a Tailor and a Lodging House keeper, with more than one property in the area around Pall Mall. Henry Peter and his brother were brought up in the household, with their 2 half sisters. It seems that later, Henry Peter lived at one property (to keep an eye on it ?) whilst working as a Commercial Clerk.

Henry Peter married in St Andrew's, Stockwell, to Emma HORNE, in August 1872. Emma seems to have come from a tough Hackney family. They had 4 children between 1873 and 1877, the youngest son dying soon after birth in mid 1877. The family moved around extensively (why?), in Stockwell and North Clapham. Henry remained a Banker's Clerk. Then in the 1881 Census, Henry Peter disappeared.

After some searching I found Emma back with her widowed mother, described as 'Married - Deserted', something that I have never seen before on the Census. And on Findmypast, I found Henry Peter serving a 1 month sentence in Wandsworth Prison between November and December 1877, for 'leaving his family chargeable to a Parish'. Then he disappeared entirely.

Henry Peter never resurfaces. Clearly, he chose to disappear in 1877, and so he did, for all time. There is no sign of him on Censuses, deaths, passenger lists, anywhere. I am sure I will never find him. Emma never did, but she and her children built a life afterwards.

WHAT I WOULD LOVE is to find any more information about any legal case or official action against Henry Peter, at the time. Were all the house moves because he was in debt? I have failed to find anything on any of the main sites, including newspapers. Please can anyone suggest where I might hit paydirt?

Many thanks,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: Henry Peter LANGDALE, a total cad, goes missing!

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:10 pm

OCR text used by BNA has altered Henry Peter's surname to Lnvgtlah, so I don't know if you've seen this (is also on fmp)

The Standard, Friday 9 November 1877 (page 3)
Police Intelligence
Lambeth
Neglecting a Wife and Children. — Henry Peter Langdale, 33, described as a clerk, living at 163, Upper Kennington-lane, was charged on a warrant, at the instance of the parochial authorities of Lambeth, for neglecting to maintain his wife and three children, whereby they had become chargeable to the parish. — Mr. Cummings, one of the relieving officers of Lambeth, stated that the wife and children of the prisoner had been chargeable since August last. The prisoner, who had failed to attend a summons issued from this Court, was a clerk, and quite able to maintain his wife and family. The case had been put back last week to enable the prisoner to make some arrangements to allow his wife a certain sum per week. He had failed to do anything towards such an arrangement. — Prisoner now said he was quite willing to allow his wife 10s. per week. — The Magistrate sentenced the prisoner to one month's hard labour.
Ian
Last edited by ianbee on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Wow Ian, that is fantastic, thanks. No I had not seen it. And it is very informative. Brilliant!

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi
Emma is in the Lambeth Rough Settlement Examinations, 1875-77. On ancestry
Not long, but I'm not finding it easy to read, so am attaching it.
Attachments
Emma Langdale Exam.jpg
Emma Langdale Exam.jpg (162.59 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Might say -
Husbd in Duke St, St James
Husbd a clerk - was employed at the Wanderer's Club - dischd fr there
He is away with a Miss Talm...(?) barmaid at the Two Brewers Jermyn St

If he was around in 1881, and not using an alias, all I've been able to come up with is -
Name: Henry Langedale
Relationship: Servant
Marital Status: Single
Birthplace: Westminster, Middlesex
Residence: Hanover St
Place: St George Hanover Square, London
Registration District: St George Hanover Square
Piece/Folio/Page: 91/24/25

Can't be totally sure of that age, from the original.
Head of household is William Hall, a Lodging house keeper.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Ian, thank you so much. You have done so much work on this. I am really grateful.

Duke Street is right, as his step-father's Lodging House/Hotel was at 40, Duke Street. It also refers to his younger brother William Nicholas. I will look at the 1881 entry, it might well be him given the family occupations.

Thank you again very much indeed.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

I have been able to transcribe virtually all the notes provided on the Rough Settlement entry for poor Emma LANGDALE. It is very modern in it's feel - a sort of quick contemporaneous assessment of her situation and history with Henry. For reference, it reads as follows:

Rough Settlement Examination for Lambeth Union c 12 August 1877

Emma LANGDALE of 1, North Street, Stockwell. 28. Husband Henry LANGDALE left Emma in Union Grove March 1876, remaining there until the following May and then removing to Lingham Street in Stockwell ever since. Married at St Andrew’s Church 21 August 1872 - Maiden Name HORNE - 3 children.
Husband in Duke Street, St James.
His brother William N LANGDALE.
Husband a Clerk - was employed at the Wanderer’s Club - dismissed from there.
He is away with a Miss ?TALMONT a barmaid at the Two Brewer’s, Jermyn Street.
Husband has been much ?seen at Shepperton and Croydon.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Return to General research queries