Moderator Control Panel ]

Placename help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Placename help

Postby HJay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi
(a) Could anyone decypher the place name associated with Benjamin Deane (something) Farm in the county of Berkshire?
(b) The placename is obviously not a parish name, which seems unusual in my limited experience. Should I read anything into the absence of a parish?
(c) Could I expect the illegible farm name be the place of Benjamin's birth or where he is currently living?

Thanks in advance from a beginner.
Attachments
Deane_white_marriage.jpg
Benjamin Deane to Ann White
Deane_white_marriage.jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
HJay

Re: Placename help

Postby ermin79 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Looks to me like Malens or Malins Farm.
It does seem odd that it is given instead of a parish, I have never seen that either, but possibly the groom did not know which parish the farm was in so just the location was written down. Also it would usually be the groom's residence at the time of the marriage, not his birthplace.

I note that the wedding was by licence. If you know where the wedding took place you may be able to get more details from the licence itself. Some transcriptions of licences are online but your best bet would be to contact the County Record Office, http://www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk/
to see if they have them for the year and location in question.
Find My Past have Sarum Marriage Licence Bond transcriptions (which includes some of Berkshire) but I am unable to find this marriage in those records.
ermin79

Postby HJay » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:37 am

Hi Ermin

Thank you for the suggestion - I'll see if I can get anywhere with either suggestions. Both names seem to have a Berkshire presence. (I couldn't get beyond seeing a 'ch' at the beginning although I knew that it wasn't correct :roll: )

I have a suspicion that this Deans side of my family may have been dissenters to some degree although Benjamin and Ann's descendants have all of their established church documents in order. I wondered whether the lack of a parish might be a hint of dissenting again.

The marriage took place at Cowley St. James, Oxfordshire in 12 April 1817. I didn't know that the licences were often kept, so thank you for that information. I shall have to look into it, although it is difficult as I live in Canada. Thanks for looking on FMP for me. I really appreciate the steer.

Best wishes
HJay
HJay

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:09 am

If you are going to contact anyone, it will boost your street cred to use the correct terminology. Most of us (myself included) often refer to licences but strictly these were the bits of paper handed over to the minister and rarely survive. What survive in record offices are Marriage Allegations (basically the application) and Marriage Bonds (a promise to pay the bishop a very large sum of money if there is a legal reason why the 2 should not be married). The latter were not required after some point in the 1800s.

I don't know what dioceses cover Berkshire and Oxfordshire - if there are 2 then I don't know which diocese might handle the application and therefore which record office might have it these days. It is also possible that the LDS have filmed the Allegations and Bonds.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:49 am

Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bond Index, 1634-1849
By Groom's names -
http://whipple.org/oxford/2_alpha_by_grooms_names.pdf

They have transcribed the place as Chalens Farm!
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 am

The marriage is indexed on Family Search. From LDS microfilm number 95234, Bishop's transcripts for Cowley, 1689, 1721-1853.
So that is another option, try and get a look at the BT.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:36 am

ianbee wrote:They have transcribed the place as Chalens Farm!

That was how I read it too, 'Chalens Farm'

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:39 am

Great bit of sleuthing there, ianbee.

On the question of documentation there are also marriage licences which are distinct from the allegations and bonds which Adrian referred to above.

The default way of getting married in the Church of England (the established church) is for marriage banns to be read on three consecutive Sundays in the parish church of both the bride and groom (if they lived in different parishes). If, however, they wanted to get married quickly or avoid having the very public reading of banns (which is public for a reason) there were certain circumstances where the couple could apply for a licence and marry. It also provides for marrying somewhere other than the "home" parish of the bride or groom.

It was for this latter reason that I married by licence - I lived in Guildford but wanted to marry in the village church where I grew up. I couldn't do a "suitcase job" and be there for three weekends to hear the banns read as my parents had moved too. So I applied for a licence - I had to swear an affidavit at the Faculty Office (next to Westminster Abbey) and eventually received the licence, complete with the seal of the Archbishop of Canterbury. I don't know what official records are held, but I have the licence.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 am

Another one on that Oxford marriage bond index!
Deane, Jno of Chandlens Farm, Bks
+
Russell, Susan of Cowley

Marriage is on ancestry
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:13 am

I think it might be Chandlings Farm. A place, but a very small place indeed! Formerly in Berkshire, now in Oxfordshire.
Chandlings Farm, Berkshire Genealogy
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Chandl ... _Genealogy

Kellys Berkshire Directory 1869
Chandling's Farm
area, 77 acres; the population in 1861 was 5.
Deane Thomas, farmer
https://parishroots.co.uk/2014/05/12/ch ... tory-1869/
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries