Moderator Control Panel ]

Placename help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Placename help

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:04 am

That seems very likely to me, Ian.

See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp545-549#h3-0011

Chandlings was an alias of Chandlings Farm, which was an extra parochial district, the link says. In other words it was not part of a parish. So as Ian says, it's a place, not a specific address, which then explains the apparent oddity of a farm being mentioned in the parish register.

And Chandlings must have been subject to all sorts of misspellings, especially if few people had heard of it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby HJay » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Gosh! (a) You guys are genius! and (b) the suggestion that the Deane family came from Chandlings Farm is almost too good to be true.
I assume that the Farm House that Thomas Deane inhibited in 1869 in Ianbee's post is that same one that houses the prep school of the same name. The buildings (squinting around the small children in the pictures on the website) looks beautiful. There seems to be a file of information relating to Chandlings Farm in the Bodleian and if it did belong to St. John's presumably there might be more information in the archive there. Very exciting. Chandling's Farm didn't become a parish until 1832, so that accounts for Benjamin's (and John's) marriage record. Presumably they are brothers and both register entries are signed by Elizabeth Deane (sister? mother?) and Benjamin signs John's entry - so that is looking good.
(It is interesting that this very early 19 century generation clearly can write, but Benjamin's son doesn't and it takes a while for the family to become convincingly literate again.)

It gets quite complicated following the two (presumably) brothers - John and Benjamin. John Deane (m. 1815 Susanna Russell) have John who is baptised in Cowley St. James (19 June 1816) appears to marry a Mary White and they move to Newington and have a large farm and make bricks - although I only looked at that one quickly.
My Benjamin Deane marries Ann White in Cowley St. James. This family remains around Sandford and Iffley and generally are laborers
Thomas Deane at Chandlings Farm in 1869 presumably is a brother of John (m. 1815) and Benjamin (m. 1816) They have another brother Joseph, who I havn't followed yet.

It is hard to untangle this lot, but luckily the records seem to have been kept well in Oxfordshire (and the Forest of Dean which is where the other half lived). Thank you!!!!! everyone for your kind input. I would never have worked this out myself.
Last edited by HJay on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJay

Postby phsvm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:45 pm

If it is 'Chandlings' I can tell you a bit about the actual place.

Chandlings Manor is now a prep school (search google and you'll find it if you want to see some photos of it).

It is in Bagley Wood which is between Abingdon and Oxford so not very far from the Parish of Cowley St James. Sandford on Thames is also within spitting distance although Britwell Salome and Newington are further afield.

Until about 20 years ago Chandlings was a working farm but was then sold to a Middle Eastern business man (arms dealer supposedly - he certainly put in an indoor shooting range!). He 'modernised' the buildings to give them price-no-obstacle opulence - luxury like I've never seen before. Rumour had it he then did runner because either a rival arms dealer or the Inland Revenue got a bit too close and the place was left empty.

It was then bought by an East End builder whose wife took one look at it and refused to move in so he sold it immediately and it was purchased by a local prep school as a boading house for their senior boys. They used the upstairs as bedrooms and opened the downstrairs as a new school.

When my daughter was there it still had lots of the arabian features and was like no other school I've ever seen. Deep plush carpets,, gold tops, marble bathrooms, an indor swimming pool surrounded by palm trees and a stuffed alligator peering out from behind rocks, washed silk lined walls, goat skin covered low seats. It was truely an amazing place. The grounds are still extensive - I assume the area that was originally the farmland.

Sorry to go on and this REALLY is off-piste but it was an unbelievable place with a real history! I wonder what your Benjamin would have made of it.
phsvm

Postby HJay » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Phsvm - Gosh, Thanks for the local colour! I am not sure what I make of it based on your description :? I guess that it is good that some of the original fabric remains...

I am just trying to see how far back the on-line records go for that land/area. It looks like it was Sunningwell, Berkshire in older records and I have Benjamin's parents Thomas and Elizabeth and the baptisms of all of the children. If the family are associated with this specific piece of land I may be able to go quite a few more generations eventually. Unfortunately Benjamin seems to be the youngest, with the land going to his oldest brother Thomas who stays put and seems to have a sarcophagus. We on the other hand end up in a much lowlier social position! (I am not sure that I have the Johns correct in my previous post - I am finding it difficult to keep track of who belongs to who as the family recycles names so frequently. I am such a newbie :oops: )
HJay

Postby phsvm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Chandlings will certainly back almost onto the village (although I'd almost call it a hamlet as it really is very small) of Sunningwell.
phsvm

Previous

Return to General research queries