Moderator Control Panel ]

Sharing of Newspaper articles

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Sharing of Newspaper articles

Postby coopernicola » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Has anyone had experience of sharing newspaper articles which have been taken from The British Newspaper Archive? I have a number of these relating to a group of brothers who served & died in WWI, from my annual subscription to the site. I have been contacted by an Ancestry user requesting to 'share' the documents. I am concerned 1. As I am unsure whether this is against TBNA website rules, and 2. The user has a very tenuous relationship to the men in question.
I have previously had personal family photographs (and census documents from subscription sites) utilised by Ancestry users without my permission (which I personally would not do) and have subsequently kept my tree private.
coopernicola

Re: Sharing of Newspaper articles

Postby meekhcs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:41 pm

I am not sure about 1. but like you I have had exactly the same problem as you describe in 2. For that reason my tree is now totally private on Ancestry.
I know people will disagree with me but this is something I feel very strongly about so regardless of the answer to 1. I WOULD NOT share the newspaper articles. If they want them that badly then let them subscribe, as you have done, and then they can add the records to their tree themselves.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ksouthall » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I think sharing the actual reports is breaking copyright and the Terms and Conditions of the website. However, I think it's ok to name the source so that someone else can then look up the records themselves as they'd need their own subscription to view the actual documents.

I keep my family tree private on Ancestry as I have uploaded loads of copies of photos and documents which shouldn't be shared publicly because of copyright. Keeping the family tree private means that other people shouldn't be able to take copies without permission.
ksouthall

Postby coopernicola » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Thank you both, I felt it may be an issue. I'll let them know which newspapers they need to look at.
coopernicola

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:54 am

Personally, I think you are using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, and doing a dis-service to fellow genealogists, and if this your only copy, you are doing yourself a dis-service. What if your data is hacked and deleted? All your hard work is down the swannee! My advice is to keep your research local on your own PC under your total control, including pictures etc, and only put on-line what you want others to see!

The whole point of having a tree on Ancestry or anywhere else, is to share with others and help them with their research. To make them private somewhat defeats the objective, why put them there if you don't want to share? Fine, you don't wish to share your photo's etc, so don't put them on-line!

I am more than willing to share my research, hence my website on Tribalpages, where I keep a "copy" of my tree, but if there is something I don't want others to see, I don't put it on-line.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby coopernicola » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Mick Loney wrote:The whole point of having a tree on Ancestry or anywhere else, is to share with others and help them with their research. To make them private somewhat defeats the objective, why put them there if you don't want to share? Fine, you don't wish to share your photo's etc, so don't put them on-line!

I am more than willing to share my research, hence my website on Tribalpages, where I keep a "copy" of my tree, but if there is something I don't want others to see, I don't put it on-line.

I have had a large, well documented tree on Ancestry (and I have two other backup programmes with the information). I had been happy to share with other people, and have had many useful co-operative experiences. However a couple of years ago I chose to make my tree private after a very unpleasant experience with someone via Ancestry (they are now blocked). It would be a huge undertaking to remove documentation from a tree with 5,800 individuals. I am still happy to share with others but am concerned when occasionally, as my thread states, that the link is tenuous & the person requesting does not appear to have more than a dozen people in their only tree, and seems to only require information I have paid for.
coopernicola

Postby JaneyH » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Interesting discussion - lots of pros and cons to weigh up. I would certainly pay careful attention to copyrighted information, and I would guess that newspaper articles from BNA would fall into this category.

If I had had an unpleasant communication as a result of a public tree I would probably make it private. Private trees still show up in search results - you just need to contact the tree owner. This seems a sensible balance between sharing / helping others and not having your work shamelessly ripped off.

At present my Ancestry tree is public, although family photos are all private. It's down to personal choice, but I feel that photos handed down through the generations are precious and I don't like the idea of them being copied far and wide.

I also back up my tree and all media regularly to an external drive in addition to syncing it online.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Coopernicola,

You seem to think it an onerous task to delete 5800 individuals, I'm afraid that is not so, a hacker could just delete the whole tree! When I removed my tree from Ancestry, following Ancestry's decision to stop supporting FTM, it took me seconds to delete all 10,000+ individuals!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:04 pm

The issue was deleting sources not the whole tree.

The risk of a hacker deleting the whole tree is no more likely than someone losing their pc to a hard disk issue or a ransomware encryption con.

The only way to keep stuff safe is to have several independent copies in different places.

I do have a public tree on Ancestry but it's not my main tree, which is kept on my pc at home. The Ancestry tree has 2 purposes - cousin bait and getting hints out of Ancestry. I absolutely would not load stuff from commercial or other copyright websites into the Ancestry tree - it may not be totally clear whether passing images to someone else breaches either copyright or the site's Terms & Conditions (2 separate concepts) but I'm not putting my subscription at risk thank you. I think that a good rule is - if it's not clear that you can, then you can't.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby coopernicola » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Mick, as AdrianB38 says, I meant it would now be difficult to delete commercial source documents.
It's my own fault really, I got carried away adding references & sources when I retired without considering the consequences.
Meanwhile I have offered to provide newspaper names/dates etc. for the "can you open your tree" request, which I hope will be helpful.
coopernicola

Next

Return to Genealogy chat