Moderator Control Panel ]

Sharing of Newspaper articles

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Sharing of Newspaper articles

Postby coopernicola » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 pm

JaneyH you mention that you have hidden family photographs from your Ancestry tree, how have you done this? I don't seem to be able to find an option.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby JaneyH » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi Nicola,

The main platform for my research is Family Tree Maker 2014, which I run on my laptop. A couple of years ago I was a little bit miffed to find that a photo of a gravestone I had tracked down, while away on holiday 200 miles away from home, had appeared on someone else's tree. Yes, I had added it to the relevant ancestor, and yes, I'd synced my tree which was public. It's subsequently appeared on other trees too, although no-one "asked" for "permission". To be fair, Ancestry does show that it originally appeared on my tree so I suppose there's some credit to me for the detective work.

Anyway, I then found on FTM2014 that there's a facility to make photos private. If you add a photo to an individual, then double-click on it, you get a dialogue panel on the right-hand side. This includes fields for caption, date, category, description etc. Crucially, there is also a small box where you can tick "private". I've done this for the 25-30 photos on my tree in FTM, and it *seems* that when you view them on the Ancestry website they don't appear. They show up as search results but the images don't display. For me, this is the perfect balance between openness and privacy, although it may not be for everyone.

If you'd like to run a check (it would help me comfirm things absolutely!) then do drop me a PM and I can tell you my tree details and suggest a couple of ancestors to look at for photos.
JaneyH

Sharing of Newspaper articles

Postby coopernicola » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the detailed info JaneyH. I'm a mac user and have not updated my FTM to the latest version. I'll have a play with it tomorrow and see how I get on. I'll pm you after I've looked at my FTM tree, it will be interesting to see how it works.
coopernicola

Postby Guy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:05 am

coopernicola wrote:Has anyone had experience of sharing newspaper articles which have been taken from The British Newspaper Archive? I have a number of these relating to a group of brothers who served & died in WWI, from my annual subscription to the site. I have been contacted by an Ancestry user requesting to 'share' the documents. I am concerned 1. As I am unsure whether this is against TBNA website rules, and 2. The user has a very tenuous relationship to the men in question.
I have previously had personal family photographs (and census documents from subscription sites) utilised by Ancestry users without my permission (which I personally would not do) and have subsequently kept my tree private.

First whether you or the person you may share with has any connection with the men in question has nothing to do with copyright or licence.
Claims about relationships are often used because the person holding the information wants an excuse not to share.

The terms on the BNA website are clear.

"What you can use the service for: You can use the website for personal, academic or non-commercial purposes, subject to these Terms & conditions.

Provide a reference if you use any material from the site: If you use any content from the website, whether online or offline, you must make it clear where you have found the material by including a reference to the British Newspaper Archive (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk); The British Library Board and also the copyright statement that appears on the page you are on. If you’re using material from a newspaper, you can find the copyright reference below the title and date of the publication (above the newspaper page image in the viewer). If you’re quoting general site content, you can find a copyright statement at the bottom of each page.
"

According to the above sharing is allowed as long as you include the relevant reference and copyright statement.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:27 am

Nicola,
It has been a long time since I used FTM, so pardon me if I say something silly.
When you link your tree to Ancestry, do you have choice as to whether you link your media (i.e. Photos and images ) too? If that is a choice, you could always delete your current on-line tree, and then re-link your tree, without the media, effectively deleting all the media currently on-line.

Although I now use Family Historian, instead of FTM, I have never added the media to my program. I just quote a source/citation that points to the media e.g. 'Census 1841 piece 1234 Book 5 Folio 6 Page 7'. I really don't see any advantage in having it readily available within the program, as it is so rarely referred to after the initial input. If, for some reason I do need to re-visit the image, it is a simple matter of finding it with Windows-Explorer and double clicking on it to open it in picture viewer.

Keeping the media out of the program itself, has the added benefit of making the program data file so much smaller, which also means that each backup is smaller, and hence quicker to do!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat