Moderator Control Panel ]

French place/house names Butonsbury, Butesh Ochger

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: French place/house names Butonsbury, Butesh Ochger

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:00 pm

ChristineS wrote:... Ancestry is the only one who has it transcribed incorrectly and I have tried unsuccessfully to get them to correct it. ...

Ancestry are usually quite good at corrections, so I had a look at your 2 1851 characters from furthest Butesh and Butonsabury. It looks to me that you confused them by putting an explanation in the top box of your correction. That top box should contain only the new value. Ancestry are a bit inconsistent with where they want you to put any explanation - sometimes it's a box at the bottom, sometimes a link down there and sometimes they don't even let you explain at all. Quite possibly they may only have seen a small part of your comment, not seen any new value, and so ignored it.

NB - I did correct those 2 - no point in me investigating and not doing so!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ChristineS » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 am

Thank you for doing that :)

I have sent the correction message to them 3 times using different messages each time over the last 6 months and got no where.

Maybe they will listen to you ?

C
ChristineS

Postby ChristineS » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

PS: Adrian
I note that a correction was made for Isaac Marsh (Maish) in the same census transcription in 2009 by a contributor and it still has not been fixed, so I won't hold my breath, but then you may have magic powers?

C
ChristineS

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 am

ChristineS wrote:... Maybe they will listen to you ?

Unfortunately my name is not Gandalf or Obi-Wan Kenobi, so who knows?

Neither FMP nor Ancestry make a clear, transparent error reporting process. Ideally when I make an error report, I want a copy back of my submission (an email copied back to me?) and a report from them when it's been corrected. That way I could easily keep a record of my reports and tick them off when done. Unfortunately neither give me a copy of my reports (OK, I could screen shot them but that's getting hard work) and while Ancestry used to say when the correction had been done, they don't any longer - all I can say is that I do see my own corrections later on - usually when I decide to correct it again!

Which leads me to the next bit... The 7y old Isaac Maish has been corrected to Isaac Marsh. I just tested it by searching the 1851 England for people born in "Butesh" with the exact surname of Marsh, and he's the one that comes up.

It may, however, not be corrected in the way that you expected. Ancestry never do a correction by replacing the duff data. They always add it as an alternative / other possible name. When you look at young Isaac's text record, then Gary Bannan's 2009 correction shows up as

Name: Isaac Maish
[Isaac Marsh]

Having tried and failed to get FMP to correct mistranscriptions, I appreciate Ancestry's method. While it's "obvious" here, it isn't always so obvious what the correct reading is. In addition, Ancestry's method of adding alternatives allows the ability to "correct" stuff that's wrong in the original. For instance, the "Pickstock" who is written as "Pigstock" and the chap from Wybunbury whose phonetic spelling of his birthplace was "Winbury" (that's not as odd as it looks - the first "b" is silent). Neither of those would be "corrected" by FMP. And FamilySearch don't allow any method of correction...

So you do have to look a bit carefully to see that there is a correction - and sometimes, as in the table of index values below the image, you don't get any clue that there is a correction.

PS - I'm fairly certain that Ancestry don't always provide the ability to correct every single word on their text based index record. So some bits can't be corrected.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:24 am

Following on from Adrian's comment about FamilySearch not allowing corrections, this could be because of the way they do transcriptions, which tends to eliminate errors.
Having transcribed for FamilySearch myself, they get two people to do the transcription, and compare their results. If their results match, then fine, else it it arbitrated by a third individual. I would think that the chances of all three getting it wrong but matching, are pretty slim.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

It would be interesting to know FS' error rate, given their (current) dual keying method - there is a long standing request on their GetSatisfaction site to allow corrections but to what extent it's driven by incorrect indexing and to what extent by incorrect originals, I have no idea.

I might add that implementing "corrections" by additional index records is seriously hard work if you haven't planned it from the beginning, so I'm not holding my breath for a change from FS or FMP.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ChristineS » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Thank you both Adrian & Mick for enlightening me on the murky world of how these various Co's work with their software etc :)

I appreciate it isn't always 'cut and dried' :)
ChristineS

Postby ChristineS » Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Just a follow up from our discussion. It seems that Ancestry are prepared to make name change suggestions available on their searches as they have been done on the ones I have put through, but not place of birth? I don't know about dates as I haven't had to do this.

C
ChristineS

Previous

Return to General research queries