Moderator Control Panel ]

Ya know that BRICK WALL people talk about. . . .

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ya know that BRICK WALL people talk about. . . .

Postby DesparateAnge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Well I've hit it. I CANNOT find any trace of my GtGrandfather prior to the SECOND census taken after marriage IN 1869. So, found him in the '81, '91, and 1901 - TWICE - at 2 different locations, and he died before 1911. Don't know where else to look. Dutfield isn't a common name, but it does seem to be an 'area' name, and quite a few crop up in the Tipton area and there seems to be quite a few Bargeman amongst them. James was also from a Barge family. Any experts out there that could suggest where to look next please?

Thanks

Ange
DesparateAnge

Re: Ya know that BRICK WALL people talk about. . . .

Postby Sylcec » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Is this the James Dutfield, 20, laborer, son of Samuel Dutfield, brickmaker who marries 20 March 1865 in TIpton, Staffs to Susannah Jones, 23, dau of John Jones, Shingler ?

I suspect not as occupation is wrong. However, it would help if you could provide an indication of age and any other family info when posting a query to make sure that we search for the right person.

Oops - sorry, realise this is wrong as you referred to marriage in 1869.
So - is he the man married to Mary/Marie who we find in Hillingdon Middx in 1881 and Harefield Middx in 1891? Though, note in 1881 he is only described as a General Laborer - unemployed! If so, I see that the eldest child is Hannah said to be born Uxbridge, Middx about 1870/71. You could get her birth certificate to find out where the family were at this time.
Sylcec

Postby DesparateAnge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Hiya Sylcec, I'm thinking because they was Boat people, I'm assuming that as were 'travellers' they was likely to be in various places earlier on in the marriage. Maybe one of those annoyances I'll not get the answer to. Similar with James' parents. Have found zero...
DesparateAnge

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 pm

If he's on a canal boat, it's very much pot luck whether you find him. The 1871 did have special schedules for boats whereas in earlier censuses (not sure which) there was deliberately no attempt to count boats.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:24 pm

1871 possibility via Family Search
Smethwick, Harborne, Worcestershire
James Dudfield Head 23 Boat Steerer, born Congleton, Cheshire
Maria Dudfield Wife 21 Paulerspury, Oxfordshire
Hannah M Dudfield Daughter 1 Uxbridge, Middlesex

piece 3088 folio 53 page 49
ianbee

Postby DesparateAnge » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:02 am

Hi Adrian38B, as I guessed, wasn't it. Thank you, :-)

Ianbee - Well THAT'S a LESSON I MUST take on board - check OTHER POSSIBLE SPELLINGS OF NAMES!!
I'd say you've got it in ONE there! Spot on in fact. Having said that, he's down on other docs as born in Tipton, which is about 55 miles from Congleton. Many thanks indeed,

ianbee wrote:1871 possibility via Family Search
Smethwick, Harborne, Worcestershire
James Dudfield Head 23 Boat Steerer, born Congleton, Cheshire
Maria Dudfield Wife 21 Paulerspury, Oxfordshire
Hannah M Dudfield Daughter 1 Uxbridge, Middlesex
piece 3088 folio 53 page 49

Ange
x
DesparateAnge

Postby Calderdave » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Baptism at Congleton 24th Oct 1843 of James Dutfield to Thomas and Mary. Father's occupation boat man. Notes add that child was born 1st Oct 1843 at Wolverhampton (which is a lot less than 55 miles from Tipton by canal). Dates would make this James a bit older than yours, but the place of birth and baptism could explain the census differences.
Calderdave

Return to General research queries