Moderator Control Panel ]

where was John in 1871?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

where was John in 1871?

Postby mjcosj » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:21 pm

I am asking for help please to locate John Matthews on the 1871 Census?
John was born in 1844 in Cookley, Worcestershire (often called Wolverley in the records) to James Matthews and Elizabeth Palmer. He is listed in the 1851 and the 1861 census but I cannot find him in the 1871 census. I suspect that he is in or around Wolverhampton because he marries Matilda SIMPSON at saint Andrews Church Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton in June 1871. Interestingly, Mailda is living in as a Cook in Kinver in the April Census (which is 3 miles from Cookley). However John does not appear to be in Cookley either although his family are.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
MJCOSJ
mjcosj

Re: where was John in 1871?

Postby sdup26 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Searching for John in 1871, I came across a War Memorials site which has quite a lengthy life history of Arthur William, son of John and Matilda, who sadly died at Helles, Turkey, in WW1 (Gallipoli Campaign). Referring to Arthur's father, it says in 1881, John was a hollowfireman, and then says, "In the 1871 census, he had been described as a Holloware Man."
1871: Salop Street, Bilston, Wolverhampton. John Matthews aged 27, lodger, hollowareman, born Coseley (sic) Worcestershire, in the household of Margaret Sutherland.

In case you haven't seen the site I referred to, it's at
http://www.flintshirewarmemorials.com/m ... r-matthews

Edit: I've just checked this link and found it requires entering Arthur's name, then 'search.'
sdup26

Re: where was John in 1871?

Postby mjcosj » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi sdup26
Yes, John and Matilda's son's death is very well documented including diary contents from the actual day and the activities of the Royal Welch victims.
Thank you for mentioning it.
I am putting together a life story of John and Matilda and then I will go on to Arthurs history.
Thanks for your help with John. I will look for Margaret Sutherland in the 1871.
Kind regards
Mjcosj
mjcosj

Return to General research queries