Moderator Control Panel ]

John Bond

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Bond

Postby TanyaS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:41 am

I am researching John Bond Born about 1812. He married Ann Ambrose and later Sarha Williams. On different records I found different occupations for him. Is it 2 different people or is a just a matter of him changing his occupation? All the records are in Madras
TanyaS

Re: John Bond

Postby ksouthall » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:46 am

What were the occupations? If they were similar or related jobs, then he may have changed jobs.
ksouthall

Postby TanyaS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:50 am

His First Profession was a Medical Apprentice then later on a Assistant Apothecary and then a Clerk church mission office. On his daughter Ann Eliza Bond 1843 baptism it look like he attended grammar school. I can not make out the handwriting. On Ann Eliza's death record in 1854 it says he was a clerk. On his the death certificate it says Pensioned Clerk.
TanyaS

Postby ksouthall » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 am

Medical Apprentice and Assistant Apothecary are likely to be related. Sylcec may have some ideas. She's the resident expert on India.
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:21 pm

TanyaS wrote:... Is it 2 different people or is a just a matter of him changing his occupation? ...

We'd only be guessing! All I can do is suggest a few things to do - which are the things one would do for anywhere in the UK - the added aspect from Madras is that I've no idea of the coverage of the records. You may very well have done some or all of these...

The Madras angle - you need to learn as much about sources of data for Madras as possible. http://www.fibis.org/ is the obvious starting point.

Otherwise:
1. You need to look for a death / burial of the first wife before that 2nd marriage - if you can't find one, then unless you have seriously detailed data from before and after, I'd say that you have to put the thing in the "not proven" box straight away. Even if you can, of course it doesn't mean that they are the same person.

2. You need to look for any evidence of there being another John Bond out there in the same are. Clearly if there are 2, say 2 in Directories, with different characteristics, then they're not one and the same.

3. This includes looking for any baptisms to children of John Bond - it's a classic symptom of "The name's the same" errors to see children born to the "same" father being born in parish A then parish B then parish A then parish B then ... Nope. Look out also for biological implausibilities - two children baptised 6m apart - possible if one's a delayed baptism, just very unlikely.

4. Get as much data as you can - directories, parish registers, wills, etc., etc. Remember there might be other Bond wills out in India that mention him.

5. What could those occupations tell us? Are there any trade-related records that might mention Assistant Apothecaries? I'm fairly certain that there are UK records of Apothecaries but wouldn't care to say if they cover India or Assistant Apothecaries.

Pensioned Clerk / Clerk Church Mission Office - I really don't know what to make of this one. I'd like to know what particular organisation this was, and if they left any records. I'd guess it was perfectly possible for a well educated man to transfer from assistant apothecary to mission office clerk. I get a bit worried though by this word "clerk", which tends to have 2 meanings. An office clerk is one thing but "clerk" is an alternative name for a priest and I really can't see someone changing from assistant apothecary to priest. Again, possible but highly unlikely. Having said that, this one does sound like an office clerk.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55 pm

I couldn't resist a quick look in FMP....

Anne Eliza Bond's 1843 baptism refers to her father as "Writing Master Bp: Corries Grammar School". A quick bit of Googling, with no expectation of success, on "corries grammar school india" actually came up trumps (no allusions intended) and suggests strongly that this was "Bishop Corrie's Grammar School", later Madras Grammar School.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Another thing I'd add is to go through all the records (because I realise now that you clearly haven't given us all the FMP story) and write down John's occupation and residence at the time. In the case of the daughter that died, if the age at death is a strong match to the baptism, i.e. if you're really sure that the two are the same person, you may get something that says John was an X living in Y at her birth and had changed job to A and moved to B, whereas otherwise they could be 2 different guys.

Just getting a consistent and fairly detailed story across the years should help.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby TanyaS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for that bit, I just could not make out what was written on Ann Eliza's baptism record.
I will explore every avenue to find out if it is the same person or not. So far I could not find another John Bond in Madras at the same time as "my" John Bond. I am just as confused by the 2 different professions.
TanyaS

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Tanya - if you haven't found the baptisms of John's other children (and you may have), then have a look at my post of today http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic14379.html for how to do it.

Also - I think that the Church mission in question may very well have been called the "Church Missionary Society", which, according to Mr. Google, had a mission in the Madras area. I have an idea that one of the records that I saw today had "C M squiggle", which is almost certainly "CMS". Whether that helps, I don't know....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby TanyaS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks Adrian. I sure will use your tips when searching for them.
I will keep you updated if I found something on the "job change" for John Bond as soon as I go through the records. The information on the church was also helpful.
TanyaS

Next

Return to General research queries