Moderator Control Panel ]

John Bond

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Bond

Postby TanyaS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 am

Update on what I found.
I was looking through all the records for John Bond over the weekend. After the entry of Eliza Ann's Death record in 1854, his job was given as a writing master at Bishop Corrie Grammer School.
After the death of his first wife Anne Ambrose we know he married Sarah Williams on the 2nd of Feb 1848. I found a marriage extract entry on fibis in the Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce "J Bond formerly of the Madras Medical Establishment" In their marriage record is occupation was given as Clerk in Church Missionary Office.

After the marriage, they had 5 children on all the baptism and death records for their children his occupation is given as a clerk. His wife Shara died on the 20th of April 1857 at the age of 29 after childbirth his occupation was also a clerk on her death record.
So at least I established a timeline for his occupation.

So far I was not able to find a birth record for John Bond so I can not link him to the Benjamin Henry Bond that Adrian found.

In that same entry in theBombay Times and Journal of Commerce, I found this "Miss Sarah Williams of the 28th Regiment Madras Native Infantry". I went online and read about the 28th Regiment Madras Native Infantry. But why is it linked to Sarha? I know her father was Capt J. Williams.
TanyaS

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 am

I would check to see if her father was in that regiment. The whole thing might be shorthand for "Miss Williams who lives / lived with her father on the regimental base (cantonment?) / establishment of the 28th..."

https://archive.org/details/newannualarmylis1848lond contains the British Army List for 1848. Unfortunately this isn't what you need, I'm simply using it as an illustration of the sort of thing that you do need! You want a list that includes the officers of the Madras Presidency army. I can't check right now but I would suggest that you go to the FIBIS website and have a look at what they have for Indian Army Lists. In later years, the lists included the British Army and all 3 Indian presidency armies but when lists were first produced for the Madras, I've no idea.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby TanyaS » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks Adrian I will keep it in mind for my Bond search in the army records.
I have hit a brick wall with John Bond because I can not find a birth for him.

I was just wondering if it meant she stayed with her father on the base till her marriage.
TanyaS

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 am

It would be highly likely that she remained with her parents or some other relatives until her marriage. No getting a job elsewhere! The regimental reference makes it very likely, as you say, she was with her parents.

I didn't see a baptism for John Bond either so it might be a long task trying to find some other document that just happens to mention him.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries