Moderator Control Panel ]

John Bond

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Bond

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Not quite sure why I keep returning to the Bonds but...

On a previous occasion, I found an Indian Office Will to be hugely useful - and not just the will, but the Inventory, which contained various names of genealogical significance. Now, this may be a complete fantasy on my part but I was looking for a will in the British India Office Wills & Probate stuff on FMP for John Bond. I haven't found the subject of the original post but there is a John Bond of Madras with 3 entries (1824, 1826 and 1839). He died without a will so 1824 is an Admon. 1826 is an Inventory, 1839 appears to be additions to the 1826 Inventory.

The eldest (legitimate, I think) son of this John Bond is, according to the above, a George Bond. I paged through the 1826 Inventory hoping to find some other clues - this John had a serious lot of property and if you page forward to page 164, then you find what I hoped for - one entry refers to George Bond, while the one above refers to payments to the Guardian of "two of the sons of the deceased" namely John and Benjamin Bond. Now, I feel a lot happier tracing the more unusual name of Benjamin Bond than John Bond.

There is a Benjamin Henry Bond who marries in 1845 in the Archdeaconry of Madras,aged 31. His father was John Bond, merchant, deceased.

There is a Benjamin Henry Bond baptised 6 March 1814 at Madras, Fort St George, to John Bond & Caroline. Nothing about father's occupation though. There is a Madras marriage of a John Bond to a Caroline Ettridge 3 Nov 1810. (Caroline is described as "Native" - or it could even be that the word is "Natives" and applies to them both).

I cannot find any baptism for a John to John & Caroline, so no idea on his age.

However, there is one very interesting bit - when Benjamin Henry Bond marries in 1845, he is described as an Assistant Apothecary. Sound familiar re the original John Bond that we started with? So - could it be that John and Benjamin Henry Bond, sons of the deceased and rather well off John Bond, were both apprenticed by their guardian as assistant apothecaries? Leading one to suggest that this is the original John Bond, his brother and father? (We know from his 1848 marriage that his father is John Bond).

Beware - this is all very speculative - I have tried to concoct "exotic" ancestries before in India and come to a grinding halt. But if the 2 John Bonds of the original post turn out to be the same guy, then I think I'd try to see whether this lot hangs together.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 pm

Some great work done there by Adrian!
I'm having a look at this and see:
26 Jun 1834 marriage at Poonamallee (an inner suburb of Madras - even then) of John Bond, "Junior Medical Apprentice attached to this station" and Ann Ambrose, spinster, Indo-Briton.
From this we know that Ann is of mixed race. I also strongly suspect that John Bond is of mixed race, and certainly he would have been born in India. There are certain occupations which are closely associated with men who have been born to a British soldier, officer or other person and a native of 'Indo-Briton' and often then orphaned. One of these is Apothecary, particularly when the qualification has followed apprenticeship and training in India. There is a great article in the FIBIwiki about apothecaries http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Apothecary.

So, is this the same person who on 2 Feb 1848 as a 34 year old widower marries Sarah Williams? Here, he is described as a Clerk in Church Missionary Office. I agree that this is probably the Church Missionary Society (CMS) which was very active in India. The places of abode for John and Sarah are Blacktown and Vepery, which, like Poonamallee are inner suburbs of Madras.

I find 3 children born to John and Anne/Anna: John Henry 1835, Caroline Maud 1838 and Anne Eliza 1843, and then 5 children to John and Sarah from 1848. If you have not already done so, you need to track John's career through the baptism records of ALL the children. Quite easily done if you have access to Findmypast.

My goodness - I see the confusion - at the baptism of Anne Eliza in 1843 John is Writing Master at Bishop Corrie Grammar School, although in 1838 (Caroline Maud) was Assistant Apothecary with 45th MNI.

When Anne Bond dies 28 Feb 1847 at Madras she is described as "wife of J Bond late of Madras Medical Establishment" - which does rather suggest that he has moved on from working as an apothecary.

Conclusion? None really, except that I am sure that the husbands of Anne and Sarah are the same person.
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Thanks Sylvia for clarifying what Indo-Briton meant, and that context.

And I interpret 45th MNI as 45th Madras Native Infantry - though I presume that, as with others that I have seen, a medic remained a civilian at this time, and was simply attached to the military unit.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:32 am

For information about Poonamallee there is a FIBIS Fibiwiki page of that name http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Poonamallee

Anne Ambrose was for a period in the Madras Military Female Asylum, which she left in the period 1829-1838.
FIBIS database record
http://www.search.fibis.org/frontis/bin ... ?id=618762
Her father is stated to be dead, but he would have been in the Madras Army, or the British Army, otherwise his daughter would not have been eligible for the Madras Military Female Asylum.

For background information see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Orphan Schools in Madras
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Orphan_ ... _in_Madras

I would also think it likely that John Bond’s father was in the Madras Army, or possibly the British Army. This is because because from the description of John Bond he has undergone the typical progress of someone who has trained to be an Assistant Apothecary in the Madras Army, and he John Bond, is unlikely to have been eligible for this training unless his father was in the Military.

Adrian has suggested he was a civilian, but as John was at one time Assistant Apothecary with 45th MNI, he was at this time definitely part of the Madras Medical Department which was part of the Madras Army. The Madras Medical Establishment is alternative terminology, but is also part of the Madras Army.

Regarding the word Native to describle Caroline Ettridge in the 1810 marriage, this may simply mean she was born in India.
See the footnote on the page on this link
http://www.archive.org/stream/genealogi ... 7/mode/1up
"They might be of European blood or mixed parentage".

If John Bond’s father was in the Madras Army, there are muster rolls available on FamilYSearch microfilms, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Madras Army
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Madras_Army

A speculative comment about John Bond as pensioned Clerk. I would not have thought the Church Missionary Society could have afforded to pay pensions. In the Indian context it was the East India Company/Government who paid pensions. Perhaps John Bond may have been pensioned from his position as Assistant Apothecary. I think the only way you would be able to find this out would be research at the British Library.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:04 am

Thanks Maureen. I did wonder about the pension angle as my initial thought was East India Company for the pension provider.

And yes, my view of a medic as a civilian is probably badly worded - certainly they were employed by the Army / EIC Army but, as I understand, they weren't fully integrated into the command structure as they become in later years - no ranks, eg. So quite how the best way of describing that is, I am not sure.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby TanyaS » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 am

I do appreciate everyone's input on this subject of John Bond. I am a decedent of John Henry Bond born 1835 Madras, son of John Bond and Ann. For me it will not be possible to do research at the British Library as I am living in Africa. I can only do online research.

I do agree with with Sylcec that John Bond was the husband of Ann and later Sarah. Sylece I was wondering if John Bond was born in India but you have cleared that one up for me.

I read all the links you leave on your comments, so I can get a better understanding of how things work in India at that time period. I am so new to India research and have lots to learn. I also do a lot of online reading so if I find something in a record at least it will then make some sense to me.
TanyaS

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:30 am

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that I agree that it's the same John Bond married to Ann and Sarah. I'm not sure I found all the parish register entries that Sylvia did, but I looked at enough to give me a gut feeling that there was enough continuation of the data like residence to make it pretty certain that they were. You should, of course, find them all yourself to make sure that there are no hidden gotchas.

I haven't done a great deal of Indian research either - one loosely connected family, whose father was actually a surgeon with the British Army at the end of the 18th century. He amassed some £12,000 (in those days) in prize money so was clearly was part of the military to that extent. Oh, and he had 4 illegitimate children and a lovely long will and inventory. Hence my advice to look at what's in those just in case there's a clue there.

I feel that terminology is important - I saw those words about the establishment, but didn't twig their meaning, so Sylvia and Maureen's advice there is crucial.

Best of luck.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby TanyaS » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:30 pm

I agree with you on the terminology Adrian.
I am now going through wills like you suggested, one can find a lot of info in them.

Just one question. Is it possible to see on a photograph if someone's family line is of "mixed race". I asked a family member to send me a photo of my great grandmother, she would be a granddaughter of John Henry Bond born 1835 Madras.
TanyaS

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Personally, I very much doubt it. Reading about Indian history in general, I've seen loads of photos of guys with substantial Indian ancestry and not seen the slightest clue. Conversely, variations in physical features of people of totally European descent (in their known ancestry) can be far greater than that between 2 people of European and Indian descent.

If you had access to a wholly male or wholly female line of descent from the furthest Bonds, then DNA tests of Y-DNA or mitochondrial DNA might be interesting. But I think that it would have to be wholly male or wholly female as everything else would have changed too much. I think....

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:26 pm

I think the answer is only "maybe" or "sometimes" - it rather depends on on passed on which dominant genes! If you want to be sure, then get one of the older generations in your family to get a DNA test done.
Sylcec

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries