Moderator Control Panel ]

Annie Delbridge (nee McLeod)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Annie Delbridge (nee McLeod)

Postby philmcleod47 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:16 am

Annie McLeod, born Sidmouth 26 Apr 1873 married Henry Delbridge 18 Jan 1894 in Barnstaple. Henry appeared at Exeter City Petty Sessions on 30 Jun 1897 for deserting Annie and again on 22 Jun 1900 where he was tried for bigamy and sentenced to 9 months in prison. Henry had bigamously married on 10 Jul 1898. In 1901 census Annie was living back with her parents, Henry & Sarah in Sidmouth.
After 1901 I can find no clues whatsoever for what happened to Annie or Henry. There is only 1 Annie Delbridge that I can find who was in Cornwall but had been there before 1901 and married so I have ruled her out.
My guess is that Annie may have changed her name from Delbridge or may have set up home with someone using their surname and recording that she was married.
I have searched 1939 register and found an Annie Letherby in Barnstaple whose birthday is the same as Annie McLeod's, but a year out 1874. Experience tells me birth years were often out by a year in 1939 Reg. However, tracing the marriage of William Letherby & Annie, it was in 1904 and her surname was PARKHOUSE and there was a Annie Parkhouse born in Bideford in 1st qtr. of 1874 so that probably rules out that Annie
If anyone has any ideas how to unravel this mystery I would welcome their views.
Thanks,
Phil McLeod
philmcleod47

Re: Annie Delbridge (nee McLeod)

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Moving to General Research Queries
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby AntonyM » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Have you checked the death certificates of Henry and Sarah, her parents ?

She may have been the informant on one or other of those and that will give you clues about her name/whereabouts at that time.
AntonyM

Postby ianbee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Could she have reverted to being McLeod and knocked a few years off age? In 1911, at least.
1911 Census
Annie Mc Leod
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Relation to Head: Servant
Marital Status: Single
Birth Place: Sidmouth, Devon
Address: Red Lion Hotel, Fore Street, St Columb, Cornwall
Civil Parish: St Columb Major
Registration district: St Columb
Piece: 13723
ianbee

Return to General research queries