Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry.co.uk query

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ancestry.co.uk query

Postby DesparateAnge » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 am

Hi all,
Is there a way, when I'm looking at an ancestor connection in someone else's tree that I can click 'show in tree where connected' or something like that please? Sometimes, it's reallly difficult to locate just WHERE the connection lies!

Thanks,

Ange
DesparateAnge

Re: Ancestry.co.uk query

Postby gillashcroft1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi, you can look at the person in someone's else's family tree if they have not made it private. If you do it through hints then you click on the persons tree name. Then towards the top left the tree will be named and you can select view tree. If it's marked private you'd have to message the person who owns the tree.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
gillashcroft1

Postby DesparateAnge » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi gillashcroft1, yeah I'm doing that - I've got guest access, but with HUNDREDS of names in their tree, there doesn't seem to be a way to pin point exactly where my ancestor appears...
DesparateAnge

Postby MayHam » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:34 pm

If it's like Ancestry.ca, there is an icon in the upper right hand called "Find Person."
But, I presume you have already tried that?
MayHam

Postby DesparateAnge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 am

I have, mayham. No - what it shows is that section of family only - ll the same surname - I want to see where they attach to the originator of the tree. I can see the only way is to keep drilling down until I come to the desired link. Might take ages!!
DesparateAnge

Postby ksouthall » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 am

You could try the Home Person icon. Sometimes the links are very tenuous though.
ksouthall

Postby Gene-al » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Surely, from the person's tree being viewed, in the top right there is a 'Tools' box. Click on that and you get a drop-down 'View in Tree' option? Unless I'm mistaken, This should give you what you want?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Gene-al

Postby Will_G » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I agree with Gene-al. The 'View in Tree' option seems to be the closest you'll get to a solution. It's not ideal as it will limit the view to what you can normally see when viewing an individual in a tree (rather than a very high level view point), but often that's good enough to get your bearings.

If you're referring to AncestryDNA, where a user has been identified as having a shared ancestor, then you should be able to see how you're related by going to the main AncestryDNA page, then clicking on "x Shared Ancestor Hints" > "View Match" (it will show how you and the other user are directly linked to the ancestor)
Will_G

Postby DesparateAnge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your help with this. Maybe it's something the Developers of the tree software could look into in future? :-)

Ange
DesparateAnge

Return to General research queries