Moderator Control Panel ]

Maiden name for Rose Margaret Bond

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Maiden name for Rose Margaret Bond

Postby TanyaS » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:16 pm

I am looking for help on Margaret Rose Bond. Born about 1848

She was the wife of John Henry Bond born 18 July 1835 in Madras, India.
He was a Indexer Revenue Board Office in Madras

Children for them: Ada Florence Bond. Born 28 Nov. 1866 Madras, India
Percy O'Sullivan Bond. Born: 2 Dec. 1870 Madras, India (My great great grandfather)
Henry Wilhelm Rogers Bond. Born: 24 Jan. 1874 Madras, India
Catherine Clare Bond. Born: 9 Jul. 1879 Madras, India
Jessie Mildred Violet Bond. Born: 17 Aug. 1880 Madras, India

I can not find a marriage certificate for them. I found a burial record for Rose Margaret Bond, but still no pre-marriage surname or where she was born. Who are her parents?

If someone have any information about this family please help.
TanyaS

Re: Maiden name for Rose Margaret Bond

Postby meekhcs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:29 pm

There is a marriage recorded for John Henry Bond to Adelaide Sophia Newbigging in Madras 27 June 1860 so was the marriage to "edit Rose"Margaret a 2nd marriage?
I cannot find the marriage in the BritishIndia Transcriptions.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby TanyaS » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Thank you for your reply Sally.
Yes his first marriage was to Adelaide Sophia Newbigging.
Adelaide Sophia Newbigging died four years before Rose Margaret and John Henry's first child was born. Rose Margaret would be his second wife.

I am still puzzled way there is no record of this marriage. But on all the children's birth record she is indicated as the mother.

Tanya
TanyaS

Postby Sylcec » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:41 am

Neither can I find any record of John Henry Bond's 2nd marriage in the India Office Records on Findmypast or in Familysearch or in the FIBIS indexes.

Although John Henry was born in India, he seems to have ended up with a very responsible position: at death described as "late Deputy Registrar, Board of Revenue, Madras", though earlier as "Indexer, board of Revenue" - not sure what that involved. Rose Margaret carried the label "European" at her burial - both in Poona. I am wondering if the marriage could have taken place out of India. Are the middle names of the sons - O'Sullivan and Rogers a clue to her maiden name?
Sorry - this reads rather like a bit of wool gathering.
Sylcec

Postby TanyaS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks for your reply.
I have seen that information on both of their death certificates. I sure would take a look into hers son's middle names maybe I come up with something.

Just a interesting fact. Her son Percy O'Sulivan Bond went back to England at some stage and married Ellen Ann Norton. They had two children Florence May(My great grandmother) and Dorris Maud they were born in England. When my great grandmother was 7 years old, she her mother and sister boarded The Union-Castle Line for Port Natal South Africa. Percy O'Sulivan was waiting for them in South Africa (I still can not pinpoint the exact time he arrived in S.A). In S.A they had a boy Allen Norten Bond, he died at age 5 weeks. All of them are buried in KwaZulu Natal except Dorris Maud I am still looking to see what became of her.
Maybe someone is searching the same family and would find this information useful.

I sure would keep you posted on Margret Rose. I would look into the surname theory as I have a date of birth and death for her.
TanyaS

Postby brunes08 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:40 am

Just a few thoughts. I noticed you have a possible birth date of about 1848. The first child was born in 1866. This makes Rose about 18 yrs when she gave birth. Might it be that as she did not have parental permission to marry as she was under 21. On the other hand, might she have already been married to someone else against her wishes and therefore unable to marry the father of her children. She might even have become pregnant 'out of wedlock' and therefore disgraced her family. There are several possibilities that you may not find answers to, unfortunately.
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:55 am

Just had a peep on familysearch.org. I only put in the name Rose Margaret plus a birth date range of 1846-1850 - plus India. No other details. Several possibilities popped up for Christenings for that name. One was in Madras - a possibility to follow up?
brunes08

Postby TanyaS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for everyone's input on this puzzle about who Rose Margaret was.
I sure will look into all possibilities.

I think if I can find out her maiden name all will be solved (I hope). I was thinking that she could have been of "mixed" race even if her death record stated that she was "European"????
TanyaS

Postby TanyaS » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:12 am

Just went through records on FamilySearch and found something interesting.

Rosa Margaret O'Douner
India Births and Baptisms
Name Rosa Margaret O'Douner
Gender Female
Christening Date 29 Oct 1848
Christening Place Agra, Bengal, India
Birth Date 26 Jun 1848
Birthplace Chr. Agra, Bengal, India
Father's Name John Walker O'Douner
Mother's Name Rosabella

Rosa Margaret Bond (Rose Margaret Bond)
India Deaths and Burials
Name Rosa Margaret Bond
Gender Female
Burial Date 12 May 1924
Burial Place Poona, Bombay, India
Death Date 11 May 1924
Age 76
Birth Date 1848
Marital Status Widowed

I was thinking can this be the same person? It may well be that somewhere Rosa Margaret become Rose Margaret in translation and spelling.
What are your thoughts on this?
TanyaS

Postby meekhcs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:20 am

Unfortunately I think this is may be marriage for her which would disprove your theory
First name(s) Rosa Margaret
Last name O'Donnell
Marriage year 1870
Marriage date 10 Nov 1870
Spouse's first name Michael Lloyd
Spouse's last name Ferrar
Place Sitapur
Presidency Bengal
Groom's father's first name Michael Lloyd
Groom's father's last name Ferrar
Bride's father's first name John Walter
Bride's father's last name O'Donnell
Catalogue description Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bengal, : 1713-1948

I appreciate the diference in surname and her Father's middle name but as the baptism and marriage were both in Bengal I would tend to believe this is the same person in both records.

I found this record on Find My Past which has extensive Indian records. It is a fee paying site but they often offer a free two week trial. One has to enter one's card details to sign up so you must make sure you cancel before the two weeks are up or you will be charged.
meekhcs

Next

Return to General research queries