Moderator Control Panel ]

No marriage?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

No marriage?

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Cannot find a marriage for James Girdwood b.1826 in Dunsyre Lanark and Agnes Moffat b1825 in
Walston Lanark. I have deaths for both and they appear on the census,but can't find a marriage.
They had a daughter Margaret Girdwood on the 13th Feb 1856 in Dunsyre Lanark(my great grandmother).I'm stumped now.
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Re: No marriage?

Postby sdup26 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:06 pm

They seem to have had a large family. Ten children were baptised in Dunsyre, Lanarkshire, all with parents named as James Girdwood, and Agnes Moffat:
Agnes 26/8/1850
Isabella 19/9/1852
Lilias 19/9/1854
Margaret 13/2/1856
Mary 30/12/1857
John 11/2/1860
Jane 8/2/1862
William 16/3/1863
James 21/2/1865
If these are the children of the couple you're looking for, and if Agnes was the first-born, and assuming they married, a marriage is likely to have been in 1850 or before. The birth records above are from www.familysearch.org but I can't find a marriage for James and Agnes on the site.
sdup26

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Many thanks for prompt reply. Yes those are the children. I have that info. Also both James's parents
John Girdwood and Isobel Muir and William Moffat and Agnes Afflek, but have exhausted all avenues without ant success on a marriage for James and Agnes Girdwood.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ianbee » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Information found on Scottish Certificates
Birth Certificates
"The date and place of the parents’ marriage is included on most certificates apart from those 1856-1860."

Looking at a births register example, along with parents details it does indeed have "Date and Place of Marriage"
Have you looked on ScotlandsPeople for a birth registration of one of Margaret's younger siblings?
ianbee

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks Ian, I'll try that. All the other information I have, I have got from Scotlands people. It's a
fantastic site. Still getting to grips with the new setup.
grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 pm

tried scotlands people for siblings.Not listed on a couple but bingo on margarets youngest sibling.
James Girdwood born in Walston Lanark in 1865. his birth certificate lists his parents marriage as
being on the 12thjuly 1850.There is no record of a marriage on scotlands people for them but asthe date of birth for the eldest child is 26thAug 1850 alarm bells are ringing.
Perhaps they never married and made the date up later?
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ianbee » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi
If they didn't give any marriage info on two records, and a date but no place on the third, then it doesn't look too promising.
Sorry about that.
We need an expert on Scottish records, especially marriages!
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 am

Chris Paton has an article in the December WDYTYA Magazine re Scottish non-conformist marriages - i.e. not Church of Scotland.

So far as I can see, the major issue is that there was no equivalent to Hardwicke's Marriage Act in Scotland. As a result, it looks like just about any church could hold marriages. Many of the non-conformist churches later rejoined the C of S Kirk and handed their registers over.

There are 2 gotchas here.

Firstly, for those that didn't rejoin, the registers could be anywhere. Chris advises looking at nrscotland.gov.uk/research/catalogues-and-indexes

Secondly, the Free Church of Scotland (formed in 1843) took some years to get going with registers so many records that ought to have been kept, weren't.

Check that you have searched for the marriage in all the necessary parts of the ScotlandsPeople website - don't know about the new site but the last site had something like 3 different points to look for marriages in parish records - the ordinary C of S, the Roman Catholic and the non-conformist.

If you have any idea where they lived, you should check what churches were in the area according to the parish description in the Statistical Accounts - see edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot

Finally there is the possibility of an irregular marriage, which didn't take place in a church at all. There's a section on ScotlandsPeople on these but of course there might not be any record. The fact that they have given a date for the marriage seems to imply that there was a marriage rather than the later recording of a couple who simply started to live together.

Good luck....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MayHam » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:53 am

A person on Ancestry lists James & Agnes' marriage as 14 Aug 1849 in Stow, Carnwath, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Maybe this person can provide more information?
http://person.ancestry.ca/tree/73748763 ... 5432/facts
MayHam

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks AdrianB38 and MayHam for your help.I have tried all denominations on scotlands people in the past. I know they were church of scotland (as am I)but in desperation tried catholic and non conformist to no avail.Mayham's info sounds right as that would be the year before the first child was born.Perhaps the date of marriage on James juniors birth certificate was a guess.Very frustrating but that is part of the fun in this journey were taking.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Next

Return to General research queries