Moderator Control Panel ]

Edward V. Robbins Headstone Help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Edward V. Robbins Headstone Help

Postby gemmalrf » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:25 am

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me with understanding what the various acronyms and groups are on my 3 x great-grandfather's headstone. I've attached a picture which as far as I can tell says the following:

O.S.C.R - A.O.F and Secretary
Of Court 2**7 and Trustee
A.O.S and Scribe Sanctuary of Court 2037
Also Trustee of
The Lambeth Savings Bank

I've identified some sources I can refer to in relation to Lambeth Savings Bank, but the rest makes no sense to me. He was a commercial clerk before he passed which may help.

Fingers crossed someone knows what this all means!
Gemma
Attachments
7bf119ac-35cb-4c63-9632-8ad3643f3754.jpg
7bf119ac-35cb-4c63-9632-8ad3643f3754.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Last edited by gemmalrf on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gemmalrf

Arthur V. Robbins Headstone Help

Postby Singleton1922 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:55 am

I wonder if AOF might be Ancient Order of Foresters which is a friendly society. The local branches are known as Courts.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Re: Arthur V. Robbins Headstone Help

Postby JaneyH » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:57 am

I note that the headstone says Edward Victor Robbins, not Arthur - assume this was just a typo.

This isn't my area of expertise, but a bit of googling of different parts of the inscription leads me to the Ancient Order of Foresters, where local branches are organised into courts. (Similarly, the Freemasons are grouped into lodges.) This might also explain why the headstone was erected by "members and friends" - members being members of the Order. Perhaps others might be able to enlighten you further!

JaneyH

Re: Arthur V. Robbins Headstone Help

Postby gemmalrf » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:39 am

Good eye JaneyH! Yes, a typo - apologies. His son was Arthur Victor.

Thank you both so much for your help in identifying the acronym as the the Ancient Order of the Foresters.

I hope I can go on to find out a lot more about them and my ancestor's involvement!!
gemmalrf

Re: Edward V. Robbins Headstone Help

Postby JuliaW » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi, this is my first post so hopefully I'm doing it right! I had a quick Google and found OSCR is the Office of The Scottish Charity Regulator.
There are quite a lot for AOF but it could be the Ancient Order of Foresters.
Sorry but I haven't got much more time to look up the rest but try Googling the initials and you might come up with something.
I would think AOS Is some ancient order of something (not that the S stands for something![SMIRKING FACE])
Hope that helps a bit.
Julia

JuliaW

Postby calno4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:45 am

lambeth boys school 1893.JPG
lambeth boys school 1893.JPG (52.9 KiB) Viewed 466 times
lambeth savings bank foundation stone.JPG
lambeth savings bank foundation stone.JPG (58.63 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Can't help with the abbreviations but I can tell you that the Lambeth Savings Bank was in Hercules Road on the corner of Park Street (now Carlisle Lane) The eventual widening of the railway service to Waterloo caused the demolition of the building, along with the Young Mens Friendly Society and the school next to it, the Lambeth Boys School. I came across a foundation stone with the name of your ancestor on it, said to have been removed from the building and now in Kennington Road, but where in Kennington Road I don't know. On the corner of Hercules Road and Lambeth Road now is a cafe called the corner cafe, it was once the Union Flag pub, the school was next to the pub and the savings bank was next to the school.
Attachments
lbs.JPG
lbs.JPG (61.18 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Last edited by calno4 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
calno4

Postby calno4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:07 am

The foundation stone I mentioned in my last post is now at 63 Kennington Rd, South Bank, London SE1 7PZ. It used to be a branch of Lambeth Savings Bank but it no longer is, Stone is still there though. Have attached drainage plans showing the bank in hercules road
Attachments
1899 Drainage plans hercules road.JPG
1899 Drainage plans hercules road.JPG (55.37 KiB) Viewed 459 times
63 kennington road.JPG
63 kennington road.JPG (59.34 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Last edited by calno4 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calno4

Postby MillyMollyMandy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Gemma,

You've no idea how overjoyed I am to see this, particularly the foundation stone of the Lambeth Building Society as I didn't know it existed.

I'm one of Edward Victor's great grandaughters. :) I'm going to drop you a pm to see if you're still getting updates on this thread (no point in me waffling on if you're not!). I think I might be able to fill in some gaps in his story.

Milly.
MillyMollyMandy

Postby calno4 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 pm

MillyMollyMandy,
Yes I got an update today
calno4

Return to General research queries