Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick Wall Grave

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick Wall Grave

Postby Dene Fisher » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:28 pm

I've been trying for ages, without success to identify someone buried in the same grave as my great grandmother,
The grave is in Tonge Cemetery in Bolton, has the number 1 C 48 7393 and the following are buried there:-

Amelia Lomax d:1896 - My Great Grandmothers Aunt by marriage
Mary Elizabeth Hadfield d:1897 - ????
Margaret Rostron d:1911 - My Great Grandmother
William Smethurst d:1933 - Son In Law of Amelia Lomax
Mary Jane Smethurst d:1934 - Daughter of Amelia Lomax

The record scans on deceasedonline show that the grave was new for Amelia which in itself is a bit confusing because she died in Fishpool Workhouse so who paid for the grave?

The only tenuous link I can find is that Mary Elizabeth had a great grandmother called Betsy Morris b:1816 and Margaret could have had a great grandfather called William Morris b:1815 but I can't find a link between these two.

I've been to Tonge recently but I can't find a grave stone that might have cast some light on the relationships

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Dene
Dene Fisher

Re: Brick Wall Grave

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:13 pm

It may be that the original burial was paid for by the local authorities or the family paid for burial in what was termed a public grave. In both cases, the family did not own the grave in any sense so it could be reused again by someone else.

That the grave was then used by family members might suggest that they subsequently purchased the right of burial there (which is, I believe, all that ownership ever gives).

It's not a particularly unusual case.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Brick Wall Grave

Postby brunes08 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:47 pm

A few things I noted from your post. Just because someone died in a workhouse does not mean they were destitute. Often people went there because the local workhouse had an infirmary and some medical care could be obtained. I have a gt gt grandfather who certainly was not destitute (his will confirms this) but placed in the local workhouse infirmary because of his dementia and failing health. If you google Fishpool workhouse - lots of sites come up that you might find some useful information there. Lastly, many people were buried in communal graves and there is no requirement for a headstone giving the names of those buried there. I have come across this situation on several occasions.
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 pm

I've been having a look for Mary Elizabeth Hadfield. You have found one bn 1816, died 1897. I also found a Mary Elizabeth bn Mar qu 1885, died 1897, Bolton. I also found that the name Mary Elizabeth Hadfield is not uncommon in Lancashire. If you can find the date of the burial you could pinpoint the right Mary as the burial register usually has the age at death. If you haven't done so, it might then be advantageous to purchase the relevant death certificate to see if you can glean any more information from that.
brunes08

Postby ianw16 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:35 am

There are actually two possible Mary Elizabeth Hadfields it could be.
According to Lancs BMD she was 12 when she died. So there is the one Brunes mentions above, born first qtr, 1885. Her mother's maiden name was Taylor, born in the Farnworth sub-district. There is also a Mary Elizabeth Hadfield, b. 3rd qtr 1884. Mother's maiden name Webster. That was in Western Bolton sub-district.
ianw16

Postby Dene Fisher » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 am

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for everybody's comments
I'm pretty sure the Mary Elizabeth I'm after is the one with the mothers maiden name of Webster - the one with mother 'Taylor' seems to have sadly died soon after birth
Thanks again
Dene
Dene Fisher

Postby junkers » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Have you asked the local authority as their cemetery record may show who owned and paid for the grave, if they did at all.
junkers

Return to General research queries