Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1, William Edward Eaton

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: WW1, William Edward Eaton

Postby LJayne03 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Ian, he was wounded, my grandad believes he was shot in the neck.
I'm grateful for all the information, I'm fairly new to this, and his military records are one thing I've been struggling with.

Adrian, I currently use Ancestry, but I've been considering switching to FindMyPast. I'm debating which I prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
LJayne03

Postby MaureenE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:38 am

The WW1 Pension records on both Ancestry and findmypast are WO 364 records from the National Archives.

The description says they are service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who were discharged from the Army and claimed disability pensions for service in WWI (and who did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II).

They are records which survived the WW2 bombing. It's unclear whether any records in this category of disability pension records were destroyed, or whether all the destroyed records were Service records.

I suspect that the medical criteria for applying for a disability pension were fairly restrictive and it's possible that many who were wounded were not sufficiently disabled to claim a disability pension.

The records at the Western Front Association are Pension records index cards, which may, or may not contains more disability pension records, depending on whether any of the records in the National Archives series of disability pensions were destroyed in WW2.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby JaneyH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:36 am

By way of reference I obtained a pension record for my great grandfather from the Western Front Association.

I knew he had served in the Army in WW1 because he gave details as such on the birth certificate of one of his children. There were no records on Ancestry or FMP - either service/pension records or medal index cards, suggesting he never left the UK.

From memory the WFA records cost £30 and took four months to arrive. (They're a small charity with limited resources and faced with high demand.) As well as confirming regiment and providing a service number they gave me the date and reason for discharge (in this case TB) and details of pension payments and addresses well into the 1930s.

Very useful from the family historian's perspective, although I'm none the wiser about what he did / where he was in WW1.

JaneyH

Postby ianbee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm

Re subscribing with findmypast, they often have an offer going (£1 for a month, etc)
Re The Leeds Mercury newspaper -
Tuesday, 4 January 1916 (page 5)
The Last Big Gas Attack
Wakefield Men Who Bore The Brunt
Yorkshire Losses
The following are members of the 1st-4th K.O.Y.L.I. (Territorials) who are in hospital suffering from gas poisoning:-
(long list)
Lce. Corpl. W. E. Eaton, Pinchem-street, Wakefield

Monday, 10 January 1916 (page 4)
Many Yorkshire Casualties
Territorials Bear Their Part
York, Wakefield, and Bradford Men
Yorkshire Territorial Battalions figured prominently in the casualty lists issued during the week-end. A list under date 30 December shows 22 killed and 145 wounded of the 4th Batt. (Wakefield).....
The following casualties amongst men of Yorkshire regiments and of the Expeditionary Force are reported from the Base under date 30th December, 1915.
Wounded
King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
4th Batt. Wakefield
(long list)
Eaton 2104 Lance-Corpl W. E.

Wednesday, 9 August 1916 (page 5)
Yorkshire Casualties
Latest Official List of Casualties
Wounded
King's Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry)
(very long list)
Eaton (2104) Lce-Cpl. W. E., Wakefield
ianbee

Postby LJayne03 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Thank you Maureen and Janet for the info I'm looking into obtaining records.

So much information there Ian, thank you!
I'm sure my grandad will love to see all that

LJayne03

Postby Joyce Holder » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:45 am

If you have the service number, you may consider contacting the regiments archives for anything they may have on your ancestor. Most have a website and contact details.
My father fought in WW1 and his regiment, the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry, were very helpful for a small fee, saving me a lot of research.
Joyce Holder

Postby Gen10ck@2502 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:57 am

Hello

I was lucky enough to find my gg g'father's service record and application for his pension.
He joined the DLI in 1896 and served in the Boer war and WW1 attaining the rank of Colour Sergeant then retiring in 1919. He also served with the S.Lancs Reg.,West York Reg., the Labour Corp and the Militia.
It would appear from the records that he received his pension for long service. He applied for his pension in 1919 from the Ministry of Pensions in Burton Court, Kings Road, SW3. Hope this helps.
Gen10ck@2502

Previous

Return to Military help