Moderator Control Panel ]

Mabel Bessie NICHOLSON on 1939 register

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mabel Bessie NICHOLSON on 1939 register

Postby patan10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 pm

My mother was Mabel Bessie Nicholson (1916-2003) and following the update on the 1939 register, I have been trying to find her record. She left home at 15 to go into service and worked at many large houses, mostly in the south of England. Searching on just her name, I have found one entry that looks very promising though the date of birth is exactly 10 years too soon, but looking at the original entry I see that it was first entered as 14 Jan 1915 and was altered at a later date. Also the name of the house is Longswood which is similar to one she worked at as a temporary housemaid, Yonswood. Maybe she couldn't quite remember the name when she came to write it down some 60 plus years later. There is no mention of her married name but is that because she married in November 1948 after the start of the NHS? I have asked my uncle about this but he was only 11 at the time and wasn't really aware of her place of work.

My purpose in posting this is to ask whether I am safe to assume this is my mother or should I continue to search for her whenever there is a new release of data on the register?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
patan10

Re: Mabel Bessie NICHOLSON on 1939 register

Postby MayHam » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:35 am

Could be her.
Was Mabel Bessie registered in Henstead, Norfolk in 1916?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2FYH-J5D

Her (youngest?) sibling was registered in Winslow, Buckinghamshire in 1928. There were two other siblings registered in Henstead and Isle of Wight in 1913 and 1914, respectively. Her mother appears to have been registered in Henstead in 1886 and may have died in Northampton in 1954. I can't find her father's birth or death, though.

Is this her husband's family in the 1939 register?
http://search.findmypast.com/record/loc ... d&enc=true
MayHam

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:38 am

I am fairly certain that the married names were inserted under the NHS. However, this would only happen if the NHS were able to identify her. Yes, they would have the same problem as you.

It should have been easy for them. At that time, she should still have her id card - that would carry the same id number that was the key to her position in the register. But suppose that at some time she'd lost it and been given a new card with a new number. Then no one would ever touch that old entry again. Or suppose that there was a cross check on her birth date? They might say, no, can't be certain that this is her, might be an error somewhere, give her a new card with her married name and a new number. Again no one ever touches the old entry.

I always find that servants' details in censuses are more likely to be in error than others.

So there are possible reasons why it might be her but the married name hasn't been updated.

Or, of course, it might not be your mother.

Personally I think it probably is her but you should still check every so often. If it were me, I'd write it up saying that this is probably not definitely her.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby patan10 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Thank you both for your replies and you are spot on with your findings, MayHem. Adrian, you mentioned ID cards, so I had a look and found Mum's post marriage card issued on 4 Dec 1948. The 4 letters of the ID number are YEEA, not DJCT which appear at the top of the register page. However, when the birthdate was 'corrected' on 26/5/44 the letters EEA appear between the birthdate and the amendment date. Do you think that is significant?

Since my original post I have checked the 1906 Q1 birth index to rule out another Mabel Nicholson born 10 years earlier. Of course that doesn't cover Scotland and I also need to consider that Mum might even have been in Scotland at the time the register was taken.

On balance, I am going to assume that this is Mum and note all the doubts alongside.

I appreciate all the help you have given me.
Thank you,
Pat

patan10

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Interesting, given that you have the card. EEA could be significant - or it could just be the initials of the person who did the change! Gut feeling is that it's just coincidence - why only the last 3 letters?

I've never done this but is it possible to reverse engineer your mother's id card number to find where it is in the 1939 Register? I have absolutely no idea whether it's possible... I do know that when I looked at my own mother's parents' family in 1939, she was redacted but the number on her id card made it clear that she was under the redacted line. But I found that redacted record by finding her parents. I can't remember if it's possible to get close to a given id card number by an FMP search or browse. And if you could show that her card isn't in the 1939 Register, then that would definitely imply a later reissue.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby patan10 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Thank you again Adrian, I had a look at the registration districts for the 1939 register and EEA is the code for Alton, Hampshire. Mum was in N.A.A.F.I. during the war and was stationed at Bordon Camp which is just a few miles from Alton. I am not sure when she arrived there but it was probably around 1944 so I am thinking that this is another positive towards this being the right record.
Once again, thank you for your input. You have given me much to think about,
Pat

patan10

Return to General research queries