Moderator Control Panel ]

1939 Register update

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

1939 Register update

Postby JaneyH » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:25 am

I don't know how many readers see the blog articles from Find My Past, but this one caught my eye earlier this week: https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/28-millio ... 05685.html

Of particular interest was the claim that 5 million additional records had been unlocked since the 1939 Register went live a year ago - sounds like it could be worth re-running some searches. The record for my grandmother has been unlocked having passed the 100-year threshold (she was born in July 1916). Unfortunately her name was indexed as Mary instead of Marjorie - initially I thought I'd found a new ancestor until the penny dropped with the date of birth!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: 1939 Register update

Postby Guy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:36 pm

It certainly is worth re-running a search and also checking new images for those already downloaded.
I checked all the pages I had previously downloaded and all but one had new people on them.
Quite a few were in my family history.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby JaneyH » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Unfortunately there's one person who's still eluding me, who was born in 1923 and died in 1955. I now know his mother was dead by 1939 (thanks to ianbee's great detective work) and he wasn't with his father. More to do on this one!

JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Good suggestion - originally there were 2 redacted lines with my great-aunt and uncle. Neither could be their son, who wasn't born until later, so I suspected that they were evacuees. Mum's no longer here to confirm if her aunt took any evacuees in - I just have this vague idea she once said that she had. One of those lines, I just found, has been released and was a 12y old school girl who doesn't have one of our family names, so almost certainly is such an evacuee.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby maxine tallon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Find My past may have updated the registers but they still haven't found out why half the street where my grandmother lived is still missing. The entries aren't just blanked out half the house numbers are just not there. Despite asking them to look into the omission several times they still don't seem to have a clue why these houses are missing. Their best interpretation is the enumerator didn't call at some houses! I don't think I believe that.
has anyone else had this problem?

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby junkers » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:47 pm

I still can't find my Mum, despite the fact that she died almost 30 years ago.
junkers

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:02 am

Maxine,
I think your problem stems from the naming of the roads by the enumerators, and subsequent indexing by FMP. For example, if one enumerator wrote 'Borough Road' and the other shortened it to 'Boro Rd' would the indexers pick it up? If the search engine isn't flexible enough ( which is dificult to do), looking for one wouldn't neccesarily pick up the other. Likewise with places, if the road crossed a boundary one might show it as being in Poplar for example, and the other show it as being in Millwall.

The only suggestion I can make is that sometimes using less information in your search criteria can be more productive.

Mick Loney

Postby maxine tallon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:18 am

thanks for the suggestion Mick, but it's the middle part of the road that is missing and when I look on the actual register these pages are not there, so if it's been wrongly transcribed who knows where it is. FMP don't know maybe it's just been destroyed. The beginning of the road is there also the end of the road and a couple of odd numbers in between it's very strange. I've found my father now though he's been unblocked after being dead for 14 years.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby nzgenz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:56 pm

A reply to a number of the previous posts:

Lost or missing addresses - I had the same problem, but discovered that searching for just the road brought up addresses clearly numbered on the original survey pages, but where the numbers had not been transcribed, so not searchable. FmP were not particularly interested, and as far as I am aware have still not (a year later) updated the transcriptions.

Incorrectly transcribed names - my maternal surname is very unusual and should have been easy to find. Not so. Fortunately I had previously obtained a copy of my grandparents' record directly from NHS so was able to use info to search the FmP record. The surname transcription is so wrong it would be laughable in other circumstances. Again, half a dozen requests have failed to have the clearly incorrect transcription amended.

Updated records - Lucky you to have records open automatically. I've been waiting patiently for my father's 100th birthday (2 December) to come and go, and for his National Survey record to be opened. As he is not living with his family on the 1939, I had no idea where he might be.
When the record did not open within several days, I contacted FmP and was initially told that it might be weeks before the record was opened. I was then contacted again and told I had to provide proof of death! Despite pointing out to FmP that this is a breach of their own advertised guidelines, they are repeating their refusal to open the record without such proof. If this is now their policy, they should be upfront about it, and publishing the requirement on their website. This has major implications for closed records, many of which will never open if this policy is actually in place, and is not just the requirement of an officious "help desk" employee.
If anyone else has had a similar issue, I'd be grateful to hear how (or if!) they have resolved it.

Regards
Andrea
nzgenz

Postby junkers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:31 am

I have been told by The National Archives (TNA) that the death certificate had to match exactly the entry, so if the original is spelt wrong then it won't be opened until 2040. I just think it was a bad idea that TNA did not take control than FMP.
junkers

Next

Return to Genealogy chat