Moderator Control Panel ]

Naval ships muster books county codes

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Naval ships muster books county codes

Postby sandyw » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:10 pm

I have found a likely ancestor in the muster book for HMS Asia in the 1770s. The column for Place and County Where Born has the number 40. Does anyone know how I can find out what county this number represents, short of going to Kew? Any suggestions much appreciated as my internet searches have drawn a blank.
sandyw

Re: Naval ships muster books county codes

Postby junkers » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:43 am

I would just ask them.
junkers

Postby ianbee » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi
Are you sure that the number refers to a place of birth?
In the muster rolls for the Asia at that time (1775-1777), the "Place and County where born" column seems to have been left blank for a lot of the men. For those that do have one, I can't see any with a number.
The next column is "Age at Time of Entry in this Ship". Though again an age is often not entered.

How many men besides yours had numbers written in that where born column?
If you give us a name, we could take a look.
Ian
ianbee

Postby sandyw » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The name is William (recorded there as Wm) Sargent. Some of the spaces in the column are empty, but at top of "Place and County where born" column where the 40 is someone has written "No. of Co". One number in that column is 4, so not an age.
sandyw

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:48 pm

I am sceptical that "Co" is county. Earlier in the page, we have a number 69. Were there really 69 counties in the UK???

Ah - search on FMP for the 1777 Muster of David Boswell in the Asis (I think it should be Asia but FMP have it indexed as Asis). The image there says "No of Compy" at the top, not County. Company, I presume.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:17 pm

In this case co would mean company, i.e. their number in the company and effectively a staff number.
junkers

Postby junkers » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:22 pm

On reflection and having not seen the image it may be the 40th Company.
junkers

Postby sandyw » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:04 am

Thanks for that. I am researching William Hill Sargent (Sergeant/Sargeant/Serjeant) who started off as a waterman's apprentice on the Thames and ended up gunrunning for the American revolution. He was b 1751, Portsea, Hants, to Thomas Hill Sargent and Barbara Rickman. Thomas was gunner (with servant) on HM Nassau when he died in foreign parts in 1760. By 1766 William is bound as apprentice to William Price of Thames Watermen and Lightermen in Richmond, Surrey, but the next reference I have is in 1778, when, as master of the brigantine Dispatch, he is in Bordeaux,with instructions to get a shipment of arms to take back to the US, saying he has "served Virginia for most of this war" and seeking help from Benjamin Franklin in Paris. (The Dispatch was later 'chased and ran aground' in North Carolina.) He subsequently captains several ships out of the US, incl the Nancy and the Columbia and in 1786, as Master of the Cincinatus sailing from Virginia to London, is paying duty for the Eddystone Lighthouse. He was acqainted with a lot of influential families in the new colony and mentions them in his will when he died at his 'seat upon the James River' in Prince George County in 1811. I am trying to fill in the missing years - how and when did he get to the US? I think the muster book indicates William Sargent was a marine from the Chatham division, discharged to Boston Headquarters in Dec 1774, just before the revolution broke out. But I have no way of telling if he was the William Hill Sargent I am researching, so a birth county would be useful. Any suggestions welcome!
sandyw

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 am

I have no opinion on the Marine, because I haven't seen the page, but gut feeling is that it's highly implausible that someone would be a marine in 1774 and a Master of a brig 4y later. Marines were not qualified sailors, whereas the Master of a ship needs to be highly qualified. While the circumstances of the War of Independence might lead to skipping formal exams, the Marine wouldn't have any training in navigation etc.

Very much a gut feeling and possibly missing something. But....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sandyw » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:06 am

Many thanks Junkers and Adrian. I think you both make valid points and putting them in context, it looks as if it not him. The search continues.
sandyw

Next

Return to General research queries