Moderator Control Panel ]

Benjamin Catt Death Certificate

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Woolhe » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 am

Can someone please confirm the cause of death for Benjamin Catt for me. I think it says Paramenia, however I cannot believe this is what it says as when I've googled this it says "Any disorder or irregularity of menstruation"!
CattCert01.jpg
CattCert01.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1290 times
Woolhe

Re: Benjamin Catt Death Certificate

Postby coopernicola » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Looking at the other letters on the certificate it could be 'paramitis'. This however does not give a medical term to check on. Looking at an archaic medical dictionary there is PARISTHMITIS which is what we now called 'quinsey'. It could be the person completing the form did not know the correct spelling, or could not read it from a doctor's certificate.
Quinsey is an abscess on the tonsils, usually caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, and could be a cause of death pre-antibiotic therapy.
coopernicola

Postby brunes08 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm not convinced it is paristhmitis. The writing for 'min' at the end of Benjamin looks exactly like the middle of the term for the cause of death.
brunes08

Postby adrianwander » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 pm

May be way of but ends in monia. Could it be Pneumonia?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
adrianwander

Postby Woolhe » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your input.
Woolhe

Postby MayHam » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:46 am

The "para" part is pretty clear. Am wondering if it is a misspelling of "Paramania?"
Technically, it means "one who complains."
Am wondering if a form of mental illness is meant?
"Para-mania," meaning senility perhaps?
MayHam

Postby brunes08 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:02 am

I think the place of death - Westfield - is one of the establishments in the Union Workhouse system for Battle Union ( on the certificate heading). While rummaging around a few sites, I came across a Westfield in Workhouse Lane in Bexhill. It might be worth your while going on workhouses.org.uk as the site holds lots of records. There are also guidelines on the National Archives site to find workhouse inmates. Many people ended up in workhouses not because they were poor but because they were often the only places where people could have some medical or nursing care when they were older. I have a couple of ancestors who died in the local workhouse infirmary - they both were suffering from dementia. Hope that helps a little.
brunes08

Postby Woolhe » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Thank you Mayhem, your suggestion certainly has more possibility than mine! If it was senility he went down hill quickly as he registered his wife's death two years earlier.

As for the suggestion of the workhouse in Westfield by brunes08, that is obviously a possibility, however even though I am still in the early stages of research with this side of my family, I do know that Benjamin and his wife Isabella (and their family) were living in the village for a number of years and in 1841 and 1851 were living at Grove Cottage and Yew Trees respectively. I am going to investigate Mary Peters who registered his death to see if it was a family member or not.

Thank you once again to everyone with their helpful suggestions.
Woolhe

Return to General research queries