Moderator Control Panel ]

Lancashire Inquest Reports

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lancashire Inquest Reports

Postby adrianwander » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:12 pm

I have taken advantage of the cheap PDF records from the GRO to obtain some missing death certificates for direct ancestors and two of them have thrown up potentially interesting stories. However, I have never worked with coroners records and am not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first is Alice Higham who died in the almshouses in Aughton at the age of 82 on the 15th April 1891. An inquest was held on the 17th April 1891 and the cause of death is given as "injuries received 31 December 1890 by her neck shawl catching fire accident". This sounds like an interesting, if gruesome, story.

The second is John Ward who died at 3 Ball Street, South Shore, Blackpool on the 25th March 1885 at the age of 58. An inquest was held on the 27th March 1885 and the cause of death is "accidental death from injury to the bowels". Again, I would love to know what happened!

I am guessing that if coroners records exist they will be in the Lancashire archive?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Adrian

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
adrianwander

Re: Lancashire Inquest Reports

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Conventional wisdom is that coroner's records in England & Wales have nearly always been destroyed. See http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/archives_and_local_history/462/family_history/9 for sample comments from Manchester RO. As a result, newspapers are your best bet.

(I might be wrong but the actual coroner's papers were originally not regarded as anything other than the private property of the coroner. Hence the loss of most.)

Lancashire Archives have coroner's papers but the first ones that I could see in the Catalogue were post-WW2. There are earlier papers but the ones that I saw were accidental survivals - what was being archived were papers from solicitors, and those papers happened to include coroner's stuff.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Perhaps there are reports of the inquests in local newspapers. Might be worth having a look.
brunes08

Postby adrianwander » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks everyone. I had come to the same conclusions from looking at the access to archives catalogue. Was hoping someone could tell me I was wrong!

adrianwander

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:57 pm

adrianwander wrote:Thanks everyone. I had come to the same conclusions from looking at the access to archives catalogue. Was hoping someone could tell me I was wrong!

Hello Adrian,

I've had an email from a chap who claims to have found a copy of the inquest report from the Blackpool Times and Fylde Observer – it was on microfilm in Blackpool Public Library.

I will email you directly once I've had a further response from him!

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby adrianwander » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:29 pm

Fantastic news Jon. Many thanks. I'm in Hampshire so a long way to the relevant records offices!

adrianwander

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Adrian,

Just sent you an email!

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby adrianwander » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am

Fantastic developments on this one. I have just received a scan of the local paper reporting on the inquest of John Ward! It is a great read and a story I have only discovered thanks to the work of everyone on here. Really excited by this and can't thank everyone enough.

adrianwander

Return to General research queries