Moderator Control Panel ]

Turner, Belfast

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Turner, Belfast

Postby Narnster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:00 am

You two are amazing!!! I have a fmp sub and shall investigate forthwith. Thanks so much... (though I might yet be back!!). All that was a massive learning curve, that's for sure!

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Narnster

Postby ianbee » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 am

Narnster wrote:- There was another child as yet unidentified but judging by the other births could be anywhere!

Portsmouth Evening News, 30 April 1897
The Dublin Fusiliers
Departure from Portsmouth
The 1st Batt. Royal Dublin Fusiliers, which has been stationed at Anglesea Barracks, Portsea, since July, 1895, when the regiment came from Sheffield, left Portsmouth this morning for Aldersbot, where will it occupy the new Ramillies Barracks.

Could this birth reg be just in time?
June qtr 1897 Portsea Island 2b 451
Turner, Margaret Edith Lilian
mother's maiden surname Little

Info from the new birth index on the GRO website. Seems to be the only Turner-Little birth down there in that period. But I can't find a death anywhere for her, so it is very speculative.
And the missing child is not on his army record (four children including Richard, deceased)
Ian
ianbee

Postby Narnster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:52 am

Very interesting! The only reason I think there was a fifth child is because of the 1911 census. It says 5 births, 3 living. I found son Richard (birth and death) and was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend who lived in and knew the cemetery in Malta; I found the record but sadly there's no gravestone. I was never able to find the fifth child but this could be the one. The first name of Margaret fits, though Edith and Lilian aren't names from Richard's side of the family but of course might be from the mother's side. Not finding a death leaves some uncertainty though, doesn't it?! And as you said, it isn't shown in the military records. That's odd!

Btw, Richard's military records are impressive, so thank you very much for persevering with that, I'm very grateful.

Narnster

Postby Narnster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:54 am

One further point... I didn't realise soldier's families travelled so extensively with the military at that time!

Narnster

Postby Narnster » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 pm

Ianbee, just a bit of feedback from your earlier finds... The birth you found for Margaret Edith Lilian Turner is indeed the child of the family I was researching so thank you for that. I got the GRO birth record. Interestingly, according to the Portsmouth newspaper, the regiment left Portsea on 30th April; Margaret was born on 4th May and the birth was registered by her mother on 2nd June so the family didn't go with Richard at that point. I think you said you couldn't find a death record and neither can I but she died before the 1911 census. Another child was born in Ireland 1899, another in Malta in 1904 (died there in 1905) and the last child in Cairo in 1910. He was also in South Africa according to his military records but I don't have them in front of me at the moment. Any suggestions for finding the death? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Narnster

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi
Good news about the birth certificate (breathes huge sigh of relief!)
I've had another look for a death, and unfortunately have again come up with nothing. There does not appear to be any registration in the UK. Hope someone will contradict me.
Where were Margaret and family in 1901? Nothing in the census. Did any soldiers' wives go out to South Africa? (Adrian will know). Looking at Nellie's birth re-reg again, if that's what it was, it's signed and dated in June 1901 by the Newbridge registrar. Does that tell us anything?
And, again, why is daughter Margaret not listed on the service record of Richard?
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:35 am

Soldiers' wives in South Africa? Crikey... People will ask tricky questions! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

I would have thought that garrisons that were already out there at the start of the Second Boer War might very well have a ration of wives. Just like any garrison. I don't know if there was still a quota system at that time - purely by chance Richard Holmes' Redcoat is sitting by ready to be read - it mentions the quota system but doesn't cover that era, so no clues there.

But any deployments made specifically for the war would surely be military personnel only.

That's just a gut feeling but when I read a book about my home town's contribution to the Second Boer War, that was definitely a wholly male deployment.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Narnster » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:44 pm

Thank you very very much for all the replies. I've acquired quite a bit of 'evidence' and need to piece it all together and see where I'm at! I'll be back!!!

Narnster

Previous

Return to General research queries