Moderator Control Panel ]

Flintshire parishes on FMP - List?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of a current list of what Flintshire parish register are on FindMyPast?

FMP had a list in its blog some years ago - that's gone.

My usual go-to resource for this stuff, GENUKI, spends a great deal of time on many of the parishes warning that microfilms are available only at Fflint, Ruthin & Aberystwyth(?) while not admitting anything is on FMP. May just be old pages.

Thanks
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Flintshire parishes on FMP - List?

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:18 pm

If you click on a-z records index on home page of FMP, then enter 'flint' you'll see they have records for 'Flint Banns'; 'Flint Marriages'; 'Flint Baptisms' and 'Flint Burials'. Sadly it doesn't show which Parishes are covered, but I'm sure if you select one of the above, they'll provide information on what is covered.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Unfortunately, it doesn't - or not on any links that I can find. The screens allow the choice of a parish but the one I tried with a specific name was empty - now is that because there was no-one of that name in the parish or because the parish isn't there?

I sometimes think that these guys simply don't understand what interpreting a nil return means.... :cry:
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:10 pm

"The record set comprises 246,895 records in 50 parishes." (that's for baptisms.)
The problem with FMP (probably Ancestry as well) is that when they announce that they have added a new record set to their resources, that we the poor researchers, rather tend to assume that they have added the whole of the record set, not just a portion of it.

I found this with their Devon records - from time to time they did make announcements about more records being added, but we never knew what they were, or what was missing in the first place. With the India Office records - there are several volumes of records missing, some for perfectly valid reasons, but nowhere does FMP provide this information or a list of what is missing. grrrrrr
Sylcec

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:59 pm

We clearly think alike on this! I don't actually expect everything to be there - in Devon, I believe that there are parishes who refused permission for their records to go online. OK, that just makes it even more important that we have lists of these things.

In the case of Flintshire, I had this vague idea that Welsh PRs were online but could I heck find confirmation until I just started guessing where they might be.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:03 am

You could also search the Familysearch Catalog for Flintshire, then click on church records in the results list. You'll be presented with a long list of parishes (as links), and after selecting the appropriate one, you be presented with a list of records available for that particular parish. From what I've seen, many are searchable, but without going through all the parishes, I don't know if any have associated images.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:57 am

I've recently struggled with the Devon parish records on FMP. I found a wealth of ancestors in one parish but then kept getting nil returns for people I knew to be in neighbouring parishes. Aside from the issues raised above, in the case of Devon the records are held by two organisations: Plymouth & West Devon Record Office and the South West Heritage Trust.

In contrast there is excellent signposting to the availability of records in the (volunteer-led) Online Parish Clerk (OPC) website for Wiltshire. While you have to first choose a specific parish (and you may not know where to look, I admit) there is a list outlining which years are covered by transcriptions of baptisms, marriages and burials. In some cases registers haven't been transcribed; but it tells you as much and directs you to the Wiltshire Heritage Centre.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ColinB » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:14 pm

I think the only way of checking this is to select Flint Baptisms and then click browse place on the search form, which will bring up the list of parishes. It's a bit laborious as you have to keep selecting "more" as you work through. I can't see any way of establishing what the date coverage is within a parish.

( If you put in a surname and there is no one of that name in the records it does not stop the parish name from appearing if there is coverage . Eg searching for Bloggs in Bistre will return " sorry we couldn't find any results " rather than not displaying Bistre in the parish field .)
ColinB

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:27 pm

ColinB wrote:I can't see any way of establishing what the date coverage is within a parish.

Select a parish, a year with date range - say plus/minus 20 or 40 years, leave name fields blank. If there are results, there is coverage (presumably!)
Good idea to check both before and after 1813
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

The LDS Catalog suggestion depends on the LDS having a role in the digitisation. This is not always the case and I well recall a problem with a record in Cheshire that I had found once, but couldn't find again on the film at Chester. Eventually I twigged that the first time that I'd seen it had been on a film at Manchester Central Library and some of these were *not* LDS films. The Chester film was an LDS film and they must have turned over 2 pages. Clearly the original(?) filming was not LDS.

Having said that, and despite all the warnings that "These are the only 3 microfilms in the world" (none of them in the possession of the LDS), when I go to the LDS Catalog, for Hanmer, I get a message including :
Format: Manuscript/Manuscript on Digital Images
and
Notes: To view digital images of these Wales, Flintshire, Parish Registers, click here. Not available on microfilm.
Digital images of originals housed at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden, Wales.

The index entries on FS then link through to FMP.

Conversely, for Worthenbury (another good Welsh name), it says:
Format: Manuscript/Manuscript on Digital Images
Publication: Salt Lake City, Utah : Digital capture by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2008
Physical: 10 digital folders
Notes Digital images of originals housed at the Flintshire Record Office, Hawarden, Wales.

Worthenbury does not have a link into FS indexes nor does it appear as a place in FMP. On the other hand, it looks like FS has done something so it's not clear what's going on here.

So these are some suggestions what might appear in the various cases.

Re "browse place on the search form" - being pedantic, this says Place, not Parish, so it could be a residence with just a few entries, rather than a Parish with lots. Still, if I try it and see what comes up, that should give a clear suggestion what's going on.

Given that my family in question may or may not just stray over the border into Wales, I can probably just look at the Ancestry maps in Great Britain, Atlas and Index of Parish Registers and hack out the few parishes in question by hand as per the suggestions above, rather than worry about the full county. On the other hand, as the name is Griffiths or maybe Griffith or possibly Griffies or... ... Unless he is under his alias of Maddocks / Maddock / Maddox,etc... I remember why I'd left this lot alone for years!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to General research queries