Moderator Control Panel ]

Benjamin Maslen MBE

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Benjamin Maslen MBE

Postby Bath Bun » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:15 pm

I have recently found that I am related to Benjamin Maslen MBE (1900-1982) from Bath. Although he worked for the local council, he was a renowned organist and composer but was also an accomplished artist. I have got as much information as I can from generally scouring the internet. However, he was given the MBE but I have been unable to find out when or why. I am assuming it will be connected to music. I have searched the London Gazette without success. Does anyone know if there is a website where I could look up information on the MBE or anything else to do with him.
Bath Bun

Re: Benjamin Maslen MBE

Postby carobradford » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 pm

The problem with searching any newspaper archive online is that the search facility works via OCR, which handles smudgy newsprint poorly and proper names worse. Happily, I got lucky with the Times archive and have managed to winkle him out in the New Year Honours in 1973. You will find the official citation in the London Gazette Supplement dated 22 May 1973.
carobradford

Re: Benjamin Maslen MBE

Postby Bath Bun » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Thank you so much for this, I guessed right regarding the services to music. I will keep digging around as the rest of his family were shoemakers for generations so he seems to have gone off on a complete tangent.
Bath Bun

Return to General research queries