Moderator Control Panel ]

new printer

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

new printer

Postby meekhcs » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Realise this is not a WDYTYA technical problem but I know there are some real Tecchy Guys on here.
I currently run an Epsom printer/scanner which is about 4 years old but I nearly had heart failure when I tried to purchase a mixed box of inks today and found it was £65!!! I could buy a printer for that ? The cartridges don't last long. I have tried different compatibles but they don't work. Can anyone suggest an alternative that would be cheaper to run ??

Many thanks

Sally
meekhcs

new printer

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:47 am

Sally,
I don't know where you're based, but see if there is a 'Cartridge World' or similar near you. I've used them in the past for various makes of Inkjet and laserjet printers, (both work and pleasure) and are generally much cheaper than branded cartridges. I've never experienced any problems.
You could also see if anyone is selling the genuine acticles on-line. They have less overheads to pay, so are generally cheaper!

I belatedly realised that you may have been asking about a cheaper alternative printer. Whilst not up to date with latest printers, may I suggest that if you do wish to change your printer, take the opportunity to consider an A3 size. This will enable you to print bigger family charts, and scan larger images. I also suggest you look for ones that have separate cartridges for each colour. One rarely uses up the colours at the same rate, and to have a combined cartridge really is wasting your money.

Finally, another thing to consider is the how you set up your default printing mode. Using High Quality Colour all the time is a surefire way to waste ink. Consider setting it up to monochrome (black only) 'ink saver' mode and only change this setting when you need better quality or colour. As you found out, Ink is too expensive to use it needlessly.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: new printer

Postby meekhcs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:38 am

Mick

Thanks for your input.

My nearest cartridge world is Peterborough, over 40 miles away, so that is not practical as savings would be eaten up by fuel.

I did find a better deal at Asda £50 instead of £65.

I have put a new printer on hold for the moment as I purchased the ink at Asda.

Thank you very much for the other tips,very useful, and I will be checking my settings etc.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:23 am

meekhcs wrote:Mick

Thanks for your input.

My nearest cartridge world is Peterborough, over 40 miles away, so that is not practical as savings would be eaten up by fuel.

I did find a better deal at Asda £50 instead of £65.

I have put a new printer on hold for the moment as I purchased the ink at Asda.

Thank you very much for the other tips,very useful, and I will be checking my settings etc.

Sally

There are many companies online that sell compatible cartridges, take a look at Ebay and you should be able to buy one cheaper
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby meekhcs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks Guy but as I said in my 1st post I have tried a couple of compatibles suggested by both my local independent computer stores and they didn't work properly so I am loathe to go there again.

Cheers Sally
meekhcs

Return to Technical help