Moderator Control Panel ]

PDF certificates from GRO

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: PDF certificates from GRO

Postby coopernicola » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:03 am

AdrianB38 wrote:But given the timescales and my increasing curiosity, I actually used CheshireBMD and sent my order to the local Registrar, who have always provided swift service.

My local Registrar, YorkshireBMD, are also very efficient so I plan to stick with them for paper certificates. You can't beat a lovely piece of history in your hands! But the new GRO search has been so very helpful, if rather labourious.
coopernicola

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:41 pm

I agree with Thos.s., the whole experience leaves me cold. When compared to Freebmd, their search algorithm could certainly do with an amendment. If you search for someone called 'Ann" on freebmd, it finds both 'Ann' and 'Anne', but gro is too pernickity, and does exact match by default. If you amend the search criteria to 'Phonetic' or 'Similar sounding', then the search takes forever, and I've yet to work out what the diference is between the two.
I also find that it too easy to leave something in one of the fields without realising, when moving on to a new search. Why are the input fields so small?
Very good idea, but IMHO, poorly excuted.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Guy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Mick Loney wrote:I agree with Thos.s., the whole experience leaves me cold. When compared to Freebmd, their search algorithm could certainly do with an amendment. If you search for someone called 'Ann" on freebmd, it finds both 'Ann' and 'Anne', but gro is too pernickity, and does exact match by default. If you amend the search criteria to 'Phonetic' or 'Similar sounding', then the search takes forever, and I've yet to work out what the diference is between the two.
I also find that it too easy to leave something in one of the fields without realising, when moving on to a new search. Why are the input fields so small?
Very good idea, but IMHO, poorly excuted.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

It could be that the search engine is deliberately tight at present.
We must not forget this is a trial to determine amongst other things, demand, test the new index (it seems some full register pages have been missed out), and to generally test the system in a live situation.

It could be that more search options will be available under Project 2 or Project 3, or even when the system goes “live”.

So far the trial has held up pretty well which must be a plus point.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Previous

Return to General research queries