Moderator Control Panel ]

PDF certificates from GRO

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: PDF certificates from GRO

Postby 1_afcgazzard » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:04 am

If I'd ordered paper certs they normally turn up within a week. I presumed that PDFs would just be a quick download!
1_afcgazzard

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:12 am

Not a quick download because they are still selected manually - the only differences are that they are printed to a PDF instead of paper, then not stamped, then emailed not snail mailed.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pollymac » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:37 am

PDF birth ordered on 13th Nov. Due for dispatch 22nd Nov. Arrived today 24 Nov.
pollymac

Postby Guy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:26 am

AdrianB38 wrote:Not a quick download because they are still selected manually - the only differences are that they are printed to a PDF instead of paper, then not stamped, then emailed not snail mailed.

Sorry but those are not the main differences or the only diffrences.

The main diffrence is the PDFs are a compilation of two cut and pasted parts of a register image, they do not contain all the information contained on a certified copy.
For examples of both a birth entry and a death entry see

http://anguline.co.uk/cert/uncertified.html

If you click on either image you can view a larger image which allows you to see that the two parts have been pasted together.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby sdup26 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:33 am

I don't use the GRO service for certificates very often. I check first on www.ukbmd.org.uk to see if the birth, marriage or death entry I want is listed. If it is, I click on the reference number to bring up a prepared form to print out and send to the local register office. Payment is the same as when ordering from the GRO, but the service is faster. Over the years, the longest I've waited for a certificate is 4 days; most come in a couple of days. Or you can order online through the site, which I haven't tried.
sdup26

Postby 2012girl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:04 pm

I ordered a number of PDF's on 13th, they were due on 22nd. One arrived on the 21st, another first thing on the 22nd, another batch later that same day and one is still outstanding. It does seem rather random as to when they are processed. There is a notice on the GRO site stating that there may be a delay due to high demand, so it seems to be a case of being patient
2012girl

Postby coopernicola » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Mine were somewhat delayed in arriving, and one came before the remainder. However I've finally got proof of a number of child deaths within my paternal line being due to congenital syphilis. I had suspected this due to the high numbers of infant deaths and approx. 50% mortality of children of my gt grandmother, and her 2 sisters. All their husbands were fishermen/sailors, so this was not unexpected. The presence of mother's maiden name on GRO website allowed me to select the correct children (their married names being quite common in our area) and order a selection of certificates, out of a possible 50 infant death.
coopernicola

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Guy wrote:... The main diffrence is the PDFs are a compilation of two cut and pasted parts of a register image, they do not contain all the information contained on a certified copy. ...

Yes, having expressed my concerns over the apparent possible loss of marginal notes, I should have remembered that.

Having said that, the snail mail versions of certificates have surely always been a cut and paste blend of the details with a second part of the header pasted above. Though you may not have been intending that bit to be taken as a difference?

(Header may be / always? a text version rather than image on the GRO certificates so on reflection it is a difference)

Last edited by AdrianB38 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Just for interest - the mother's maiden name seems to have provided the answer to the question of whether my GG-GPs really were childless for such a time. I have therefore sent for a single birth certificate as an exploration.

But given the timescales and my increasing curiosity, I actually used CheshireBMD and sent my order to the local Registrar, who have always provided swift service. Any bulk order may be different!

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Thos. S. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 pm

I'd prefer it if the search option wasn't as restrictive. It's certainly been helpful in locating the right records but it would be good if you could search by surname and mother's maiden name over a wider period. I think this would help in finding children that didn't survive and aren't in a census.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Thos. S.

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries