Moderator Control Panel ]

Hannah Dupere

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Hannah Dupere

Postby windy35 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Can anyone help please. My ancestor Hannah Dupere died in 1904 age 84. On her death certificate the informant was a Frances White, granddaughter.
My problem is that I can find no marriage or children born to her only child James. He died age 25 in 1883. Also Hannah never remarried after the death of her husband James in 1860.
Could they have made a mistake on the death certificate? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
windy35

Re: Hannah Dupere

Postby Sylcec » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Could Hannah, or her son James, have had an illegitimate child at any time?
Sylcec

Postby ermin79 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm sure there are rules around who can register a death. I seem to think it either has to be a relative or someone present at the death / an official (i.e. doctor in a hospital).
I know there are a couple of forum regulars who should be able to confirm whether i have just imagined this!
Have you been able to find a Frances White living in the same place / region as Hannah in the 1901 census? Could she possibly have been a friend / neighbour who just knew Hannah but when it came to registering the death just said grand-daughter as there was no-one else?
My great-uncle's death was registered by a woman who claimed to be his 'sister', despite being nothing of the sort. However as far as she knew he had no family who could have registered the death.
ermin79

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:42 am

Hello
Is this your family in 1871?
Princess St St Giles
Mary Andrews widow 76 slipper maker Lincolnshire
Hannah Dupree 51 same St Giles
James Dupree 13 grandson St Giles
Minnie Dupree 15 granddaughter St Ann Blckfriars.

If so who is Minnie and did she marry a Mr White?
There is also this
Emily Andrews d of Hannah baptised 25.5.1853 Earl st Marylebone at Paddington.
Could Emily be her daughter from before her marriage?

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:08 am

ermin79 wrote:I'm sure there are rules around who can register a death. I seem to think it either has to be a relative or someone present at the death / an official (i.e. doctor in a hospital).
I know there are a couple of forum regulars who should be able to confirm whether i have just imagined this!
Have you been able to find a Frances White living in the same place / region as Hannah in the 1901 census? Could she possibly have been a friend / neighbour who just knew Hannah but when it came to registering the death just said grand-daughter as there was no-one else?
My great-uncle's death was registered by a woman who claimed to be his 'sister', despite being nothing of the sort. However as far as she knew he had no family who could have registered the death.

There are rules that determine who can legally be an informant to register a death, relatives are top of the list, and can be "by blood, marriage or adoption" but there are other categories that allow a friend or neighbour to do so in some circumstances. One person who would not be allowed to register a death is a doctor or nurse (if they had been treating the person)....although no doubt there are examples of it happening.

All you can say in this case is that the person who registered the death gave their relationship to the deceased as "grand-daughter" (they wouldn't have had to prove it).
AntonyM

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Looks like Minnie wasn't a daughter of Hannah.
There were two Dupere-Andrews marriages
The Andrews ladies, Sarah and Hannah, appear to be sisters - daughters of Philip Andrews, Shoemaker....
Birth
March 1856 London 1c 70
Dupere, Minnie Jane
mother Andrews

Minie Dupere, 5, born City, is in Lambeth in 1861. Mother Sarah, but father is George?

You should have the residence of the informant from the death certificate. This might help you track down Frances White.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Looks like Hannah died at the Strand Union workhouse at Edmonton, 10 November 1904.
ianbee

Postby sdup26 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:15 pm

In St Giles 1861, Mary Andrews, head, widow, b1797 Lincolnshire, lives with her daughter Hannah Dupere, b1820, also a widow (James died 1860), and two grandchildren of Mary: Mary Warne b1843, and James Dupere b1858. James was Hannah's son - was Mary Warne her daughter, born before marriage to James?
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Creed register for the Edmonton Workhouse
Dupere (bit smudgy!) Hannah
born 1820
parish CD (dittoed)
occupation Slippermaker W (prob for widow)
description 5 ? St. Strand
creed Ch Eng
observations ? Mrs Wood 32 Wych St
admission 5 May 1900

Naming relatives, possibly friends, under observations, unfortunately the image is not clear. Something has been crossed out (Sis?)
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm

sdup26 wrote:was Mary Warne her daughter, born before marriage to James?

Could be!
Here is 32 Wych Street in 1901
piece 241 folio 61 page 10
Mary Wood Head Wid 59 Charwoman London St Pancras (st Giles crosed out)
Henry W Wood Son S 25 Brass Finisher London St Giles
Frances M A Wood Daur S 21 Book Folder London St Martins
Emily S Wood Daur S 18 London St Martins
Henry W Wood B in law S 56 Engineers Labourer London St Giles
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries