Moderator Control Panel ]

Prison/court records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Prison/court records

Postby plf99 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:50 pm

My grandfather spent three weeks in prison in the late 1960s. His case was published in the local papers, however, I have not managed to locate an article thus far. We know absolutely nothing about his case but would like to find out. Unfortunately, we do not know which prison he served time in, nor do we have a set of dates to work with. Although we believe it was either 1968 or 1969.

I was just wondering whether anybody is aware of any way of locating prison/court records from this period. Or even some way to access newspaper articles from the 60s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
plf99

Re: Prison/court records

Postby MayHam » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Do you know where he lived prior to be incarcerated?
MayHam

Postby plf99 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 pm

He was living in the New Cross/Lewisham area.

plf99

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:07 am

Instinctively, with no knowledge of the records themselves, I would guess that these records are not on general release as they are only some 50 years old and many people referred to will still be alive. It may therefore be more useful to try a Freedom of Information request to the Home Office, but I have absolutely no idea how that might be done.

Newspaper reports would probably be an easier way to go. The local Record Office is likely to hold microfilms of local papers, so I'd try their internet site first to see what they say.

I said "easier" but there'll be a lot of stuff to go through....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby plf99 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 am

Thank you, I've submitted an FOI request. Whether it works or not, I'll have to wait and see.

I believe lewisham archives hold the papers in question. Going to be a tough job trawling through them though.

plf99

Postby junkers » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:36 pm

It does depend on which court the case was heard in, have you tried The National Archives (TNA) 'Discovery' catalogue. In addition the Calendars of Prisoners (series HO 140) at TNA, you will be required to prove that the person is 100 years old or more or dead to get any information (a FOI request will suffice). It may be that the 'Discovery' catalogue might have his case listed.
As far as the prison goes the obvious ones are Wandsworth or Maidstone, but it does depend on the category of prisoner and available accommodation. Have you tried the British Newspaper Archive which is online.
junkers

Postby plf99 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks, I had previously checked HO140, and was unable to find anything. I have just checked Discovery and again nothing.

I have previously checked the British Newspaper Archive, but will try again now.

I will also look into a FOI request.

Many thanks!

plf99

Postby JaneyH » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:34 am

If you do go down the FOI route, note that the Prison Service comes under the Ministry of Justice, not the Home Office. As someone previously involved in answering FOI requests they don't routinely get redirected. If it goes to the wrong department the response will simply be "information not held".

JaneyH

Postby junkers » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:04 pm

The HO 140 registers at TNA are not listed by name because of the Data Protection Act and that they are closed and for that reason TNA can only give you a typed transcription. Incidentally prisons used to come under the Prison Commission, then the Home Office.
junkers

Return to General research queries