Moderator Control Panel ]

GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby Guy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:50 pm

GRO launch a limited trial of uncertified copies of BMDs each PDF will cost £6.00p.
More details at
http://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Re: GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Postby pollymac » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 am

This is exciting news!
The new indexes should also be very useful. I spent all yesterday evening searching births for an elusive ancestor using the new mother's maiden name facility - sadly with no success this time but I'm sure this feature will be a godsend for many people. Also the ability to search for deaths back to 1837 with an age of death should help a few brick walls come tumbling down.
pollymac

Postby janiej » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:26 pm

It's like Christmas came early - just being able to identify a mother's maiden name on a birth record enabled me to knock down three brick walls in one night and opened the way for generations of new families to flood in. I found some sisters were not sisters at all, despite what it said on the census. They had different mothers - that's a whole new can of worms and worth checking others. I am also happier to order certificates now I can see the mothers' names among my hundreds of Smiths, Jones and Browns. I may be some time......
janiej

Postby junkers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:41 pm

I think it is a good idea, but lets wait to see what the transcription is like first, but £6 seems a lot of money for what is effectively a copy and GRO cannot claim that it is staff time that is involved, it is about 5 times what Scotland has been charging. For example TNA charge about £3.50 a copy irrespective of length online.
On the issue of the registers themselves there is no chance of them ending up at The National Archives or similar archive as there is no room and I am sure that TNA would not consider them to be 'public records' (i.e. a function of government business). The other not inconsiderable issue is what happens to the local indexes, in theory the local indexes are likely to be accurate than the national indexes at GRO.
junkers

Postby junkers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:56 pm

I have just tried the new GRO indexes but in my view there are three issues, firstly the search facility over covers two years, no ability to search for marriages! and unlike ancestry you can't find the other spouse's full name but you will have to do another search.
junkers

Postby Guy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm

junkers wrote:I think it is a good idea, but lets wait to see what the transcription is like first, but £6 seems a lot of money for what is effectively a copy and GRO cannot claim that it is staff time that is involved, it is about 5 times what Scotland has been charging. For example TNA charge about £3.50 a copy irrespective of length online.
On the issue of the registers themselves there is no chance of them ending up at The National Archives or similar archive as there is no room and I am sure that TNA would not consider them to be 'public records' (i.e. a function of government business). The other not inconsiderable issue is what happens to the local indexes, in theory the local indexes are likely to be accurate than the national indexes at GRO.

I doubt if the uncertified coipes will be transciption as they are PDFs, it seems they will be the digitised copies of the register entry. That also explains why no marriages are being offered at present as they have not been digitised yet. (Digitisation of birth records up to 1934 and death records up to 1957 had been completed when the contract ended). I agree it does seem overpriced but I think the price will drop if the service is successful (the GRO is not allowed to make a profit or a loss).
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

I agree, the search screen is a bit clunky i.e. having to enter sex of the individual each time, easy to forget to change it and get zero results as a consequence.
I also note that there are quite a few results where Mothers Maiden name is not shown at all, and wonder if this will be corrected at some future date?
I have also noted some entries are missing completely, (but on freebmd) which I have reported, sadly for me, one was for a brickwall I was hoping to breakdown - hohum

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:51 am

Mick, I think you'll find that items where no mother's maiden name is given (indicated as "-" in the search results) are cases where only one surname is given for the mother. I've checked results against two birth certificates I have which have the father box is left blank and this is how they showed in the search results. Granted it's only two and not conclusive, but this may help.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby AntonyM » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:57 am

Mick Loney wrote:I have also noted some entries are missing completely, (but on freebmd) which I have reported, sadly for me, one was for a brickwall I was hoping to breakdown - hohum

I was involved in the testing of the new system and have been using it for a number of weeks- there are differences between the new index and the FreeBMD index - I am told by GRO that their index has been freshly compiled from the digitised images, so "should" be more accurate - but as in all transcription exercises, errors can creep in.

Because the GRO search engine is quite restrictive (which has been fed back during testing), I tend to use both indexes in conjunction.
AntonyM

Postby ksouthall » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Mick Loney wrote:I also note that there are quite a few results where Mothers Maiden name is not shown at all, and wonder if this will be corrected at some future date?

I agree with JaneyH. I found a couple of cases where mother's maiden name was left blank, but these were cases where I knew the child was illegitimate, so the birth was registered under the mother's name. Hence, there was no maiden name to speak of.
ksouthall

Next

Return to Genealogy chat