Moderator Control Panel ]

GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 am

Mmm - as you say, hard to say. Certainly in this case, any omission would appear to be immaterial.

I can only suggest that if they are accepting feedback, then it would be worth raising the issue, asking for clarity on what happens with marginal notes (and why).

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:33 am

Thanks Guy - that shows a numbered correction and there will be the word "six" in the margin (nothing else) - it has no other effect on the record, but it should be reproduced if only to avoid confusion about the meaning of the number 6 in the entry.

I would be concerned if decisions have been made during transcription about which notes (if any) need to be shown.

I will add that to a list of questions I have ready to send to the beta testing team - I'll post back any response.
AntonyM

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks Antony. As I said above, file size considerations should be immaterial these days, reducing that reason for trimming.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:56 am

My view is I am not too worried that the uncertified copies of register entries do not show the margin note.
In the very few cases where a change was not obvious, and it was important for me to have the information, I would be happy to order a full certificate to clear up any questions I had.

I appreciate others will have a different view on this.

My main concern about the whole operation is it is still a manual system. I can see no reason why the system could not be fully digital using a masking overlay to redact the additional entries on the register page.
This would of course involve additional programming but it should be achievable in this day and age.

A digital system would allow the GRO to comply with the order to reduce burdens as such a system would not only reduce their own man-hours burden but would also reduce their customers cost burden.

I am very pleased that the PDFs supplied can by enlarged to high magnification levels as that will be a great help when words are difficult to read.
I am also pleased that the one to two hour lag in delivery of the PDFs has now been resolved.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 am

Guy wrote:My view is I am not too worried that the uncertified copies of register entries do not show the margin note.
In the very few cases where a change was not obvious, and it was important for me to have the information, I would be happy to order a full certificate to clear up any questions I had.

I appreciate others will have a different view on this.

My main concern about the whole operation is it is still a manual system. I can see no reason why the system could not be fully digital using a masking overlay to redact the additional entries on the register page.
This would of course involve additional programming but it should be achievable in this day and age.

A digital system would allow the GRO to comply with the order to reduce burdens as such a system would not only reduce their own man-hours burden but would also reduce their customers cost burden.

I am very pleased that the PDFs supplied can by enlarged to high magnification levels as that will be a great help when words are difficult to read.
I am also pleased that the one to two hour lag in delivery of the PDFs has now been resolved.

Cheers
Guy

PS Quick thought the trimming may also be to avoid marginal notes indicating adoption
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:34 pm

I have certificates where the marginal notes change the whole meaning of the entry (inc the name and sex of the child in one case ) which would not be apparent without seeing the note, so they can be very important indeed.

I would hope that they have been scanned - definitely something to follow up.

No reason for adoption to be a concern - they would just have the word "adopted" and the SR's details.
AntonyM

Postby lottie's mum » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:20 pm

[quote="AdrianB38"]Or indeed - does anyone have an example of a .PDF *with* a marginal note? Not quite sure how the system would deliver it but I think that specific examples of anything relating to marginal notes would be welcome.

I have one and attach it - haven't had chance to sit and figure out what it says yet though!!!
Attachments
PhotoScan George Drew birth.jpg
PhotoScan George Drew birth.jpg (644.59 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
lottie's mum

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:45 pm

AntonyM wrote:Thanks Guy - that shows a numbered correction and there will be the word "six" in the margin (nothing else) - it has no other effect on the record, but it should be reproduced if only to avoid confusion about the meaning of the number 6 in the entry.

I would be concerned if decisions have been made during transcription about which notes (if any) need to be shown.

I will add that to a list of questions I have ready to send to the beta testing team - I'll post back any response.

I am afraid you are a little confused there Antony, the numer 6 signified that is the sixth amendment in that particular register. If there is a marginal note it would be something along the lines of correction of spelling x to replace k or simply spelling.
I believe it should also be signed and dated, but only if the error was discovered and corrected at a later date rather than at the time of entry.

Cheers
Guy
Guy

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 pm

Guy

You have a standard numbered correction - they can only be done during the registration process and before the entry is signed by the registrar. It will be a simple digit alongside the place where the error has been corrected - and as you say it indicates the number of errors in that particular register. The number should also be written (as a word) in the margin and initialled by the registrar. Today they only get done in marriage registers, which are still hand written.

After the entry is signed, any further correction would generate a marginal note explaining why - the nature of which and the authority it requires depending on the seriousness of the error.
AntonyM

Postby JaneyH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Antony - now you've got me thinking about my own marriage certificate.

In the column "bride's father's occupation" the vicar wrote "retired Dyson". He was not indicating the my Dad was an old vacuum cleaner, however! Dyson is my maiden name, and the certificate was corrected to read "retired teacher". Always makes me laugh though.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat