Moderator Control Panel ]

GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:08 am

I disagree. The column is 'Mothers Maiden Name' so should be shown as it is currently for post 1911 entries. Leaving it out leads to a lot of uncertainty as to whether it is an error or not. Showing it is a positive way of indicating potential illegitimacy (or not, as the case may be - I do have a Moore marrying a Moore :) )

When you get 7 or 8 entries for a particular surname in one year, showing no mothers name, I can't believe they are all illegitimate, especially when you have a christening to match!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: GRO trial uncertified BMDs

Postby AntonyM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 am

Mick Loney wrote:I disagree. The column is 'Mothers Maiden Name' so should be shown as it is currently for post 1911 entries.

One of the problems is that there is no column/space that explicitly gives the mother's maiden name on a birth registration until quite recently (1969 I think).

GRO assume the maiden name from a combination of factors, essentially being the "formerly" name in the "mother's name" column but this is not always correct, especially where there has been more than one marriage.
AntonyM

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:15 pm

AntonyM,
They managed to show mothers names from 1911, (before the extra column was added around 1969) so what is difference between those years and the newly released years, other than 'we can't be bothered to make the effort'!

It is like the decision to charge £6 for a PDF. If they have already digitised the images, it wouldn't take much to allow an image download for a small fee, as most genealogy sites do for their images. I'm sure they'd get more revenue income overall, if they made it cheaper. With the extra income, being as it is a not for profit service, they would then be able to reduce the £9.25 fee for the proper copy. Surely a win-win situation.

Mick Loney

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:54 am

Mick Loney wrote:AntonyM,
They managed to show mothers names from 1911, (before the extra column was added around 1969) so what is difference between those years and the newly released years, other than 'we can't be bothered to make the effort'!

Mick - not sure what you are saying here - the mother's maiden name is shown in the new index , where one is able to be implied from the register entry.

An unmarried woman has no maiden name , so the field is correctly shown as a "-".

When the old post 1911 index was done, someone seems to have decided to show an unmarried woman's surname as her maiden name for indexing purposes - which was incorrect, but understandable (and useful).

It seems that the different approach between the two indexes is what has caused some confusion ( GRO have been made aware of this).
AntonyM

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 am

The £6 pdf trial is now available - supposed to be limited to 45,000 applications - wonder how long that will take to be reached ?
AntonyM

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:49 am

AntonyM wrote:The £6 pdf trial is now available - supposed to be limited to 45,000 applications - wonder how long that will take to be reached ?

One things for sure it the cut off will be reached before my PDFs arrive.

Ordered my first two uncertified PDFs one a Birth entry the other a Death entry.

The system very easy to use but is email based with a dispatch date of 16 November rather than an automatic image by return that I was hoping for.

It seems the GRO are still living in the 20th century rather than the 21st century, no wonder it costs £6.00p to purchase the PDFs.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby philippereynolds » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:31 am

Having come on here first to see what the situation was, I have now ordered certificates under the PDF trial. I then took the survey and at every opportunity complained that a 7 day wait was unacceptable. If you were to order them on a Monday morning you would actually receive them quicker by post.

philippereynolds

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:35 am

philippereynolds wrote:Having come on here first to see what the situation was, I have now ordered certificates under the PDF trial. I then took the survey and at every opportunity complained that a 7 day wait was unacceptable. If you were to order them on a Monday morning you would actually receive them quicker by post.

I am also disappointed by the outlook for the future see
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01itr/

Phase two will supply PDFs in 3 hours at a cost of £45
Phase three (4 weeks) will supply PDFs of entries not currently digitised at a cost of £8
I would have spit the system between those records already digitised, that could easily be automatic and those that require scanning that could use the current manual system.

This would be spilt using the current years specified

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby philippereynolds » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:07 am

£45!!! No one will use that service. There is absolutely nothing that can justify that price. Isn't the GRO a non profit organisation?

philippereynolds

Postby AntonyM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:28 am

philippereynolds wrote:£45!!! No one will use that service. There is absolutely nothing that can justify that price. Isn't the GRO a non profit organisation?

Well I wouldn't use it, but a few heir hunters/legal firms will under certain circumstances, and I know GRO were asked to provide this type of service. That price is for ANY entry, digitised or not, and without a need for a reference being supplied, so some searching work will be included.

Establishing whether there is a demand for such a service is part of the trials they are running.
AntonyM

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat