Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ann Gilbert, b 1834

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Ann Gilbert, b 1834

Postby SDV » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:40 pm

Mary Ann Gilbert was born 29 May 1834 and baptised on 30 Jun 1834 at St George the Martyr in Southwark. Her father was James Gilbert, a carpenter. Her mother was Frances Favel. They lived in Chapel Place, Long Lane, Bermondsey.

In 1841, Mary Ann, aged 7, was living with her parents, James (45) and Frances (40) at Chapel Place, Bermondsey. In 1851, following the death of her father in 1845, Marian (16) was living with her mother at Gt Georges Place, Southwark. Both were described as seamstresses.

I have always thought that she married Jonathan Emmett on 23 Dec 1854 at St Mary in Lambeth. Both groom and bride were living in Mead Row, Lambeth. I now have major doubts about this. I was always a little puzzled by her father James Gilbert being described as a gardener, when all other references to him have always described him as a carpenter.

Having followed the progress of the couple through the 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, I am even more doubtful, as these all show a Marianne Emmett, who was born in Sibton, Suffolk, rather than Southwark. The discovery in the 1841 census of a Mary Gilbert (9) living in Sibton with her parents James (45) and Charlotte (40), has added even more doubts, especially as the 1851 census reveals James to be a gardener.

So reluctantly I am on the verge of abandoning everything I know of Mary/Mary Ann/Marianne Gilbert after 1851.

Which leaves the rather big question of what happened to Mary Ann Gilbert after 1851, the last reliable sighting. Did she marry? Did she die young? I know that she is not living with her mother in 1861, who is still living at St Georges Place, under the name Frances Britton (61), having re-married and been widowed for a second time, though I cannot find any official record of her marriage to Thomas Britten, a railway labourer.

Any assistance on tracking Mary Ann down post 1851 would be much welcomed. As indeed would any information with regard to the elusive second marriage of her mother.
SDV

Re: Mary Ann Gilbert, b 1834

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:02 pm

I think this might be worth a look if you haven't already :

Mary Ann GILBERT full age spinster of 9 College Street, father James Gilbert carpenter
William RUSHTON full age bachelor groom , father James Rushton tailor

13 Mar 1859 Christchurch Highbury Islington
witnesses Thomas Joseph Ireland, Mary Ann Elizabeth Ireland

1851 census for William
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGK7-XJP
1861 census
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MG-3GVD
ColinB

Postby tessacate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:06 am

Hi there

If ColinB's suggestion doesn't work out (and it looks like a good lead), then you might also look at travel records. Many young single women either emigrated as free settlers to the Colonies during this period or indeed were transported for minor and major breaches of the law. Convict records aren't great in the UK, but they are very good in the receiving colony.

Good luck with your research. :)
tessacate

Postby SDV » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:34 pm

This actually looks good, especially the fact that the 1861 census states that Mary Ann was deaf, as her mother Frances was also deaf, as also noted on the 1861 census. Given that deafness is often hereditary, this makes this solution very tempting.

If true, Mary Ann died in 1868 and William remarried in 1870. I will send for the death certificate, to see if it reveals any more light.

Many thanks.
SDV

Return to General research queries